A Round Up of the AMD Radeon HD 7790 Variants

Status
Not open for further replies.

kylerg

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012
[citation][nom]Onus[/nom]With the vastly superior GTX650Ti Boost available for only another $20, this one needs to come down even more to be relevant.[/citation]

Vastly superior? You do know the definition of vastly, right? I'm not trying to insult your intelligence but vastly should not be used. The GTX 650 Ti BOOST is better but it's also more expensive. Sure $20 is not all that expensive but it does make a difference on price to performance ratio. I, personally, would rather save $20 and have the 7790 which can perform (almost) as well as the 650 Ti BOOST.

I understand your POV, the frame rate difference is definitely not "vast," however, at this performance level, even a small difference can mean one more setting that doesn't have to be lowered. Seventy vs one hundred FPS might more properly be called "vast," but in actual play I probably wouldn't notice a difference.
This summary comment perhaps best illustrates my point: "The GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost allows you to play at high settings at 1080p in today's games, whereas the Radeon HD 7790 allows you to play at medium settings at 1080p in today's games." To me, that's pretty vast (even though I've said myself that medium looks pretty good in today's games).

[citation][nom]kylerg[/nom]Vastly superior? You do know the definition of vastly, right? I'm not trying to insult your intelligence but vastly should not be used. The GTX 650 Ti BOOST is better but it's also more expensive. Sure $20 is not all that expensive but it does make a difference on price to performance ratio. I, personally, would rather save $20 and have the 7790 which can perform (almost) as well as the 650 Ti BOOST.[/citation]

I think where he is going is the ROI aka Return in Investment .... which is almost 2 to 1.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-650-ti-boost-gk106-benchmark,3463-11.html

THG shows a 25% difference in relative performance for a 13% increase in price which tosses the usual law of diminishing returns right out the proverbial window.....or in THG's words:

With the Radeon HD 7770 at $120, Radeon HD 7790 at $150, and Radeon HD 7850 above $180, Nvidia is rendering all three products ineffectual at their respective price points. With one swift stroke, the company engineered a hostile takeover of the $100-$200 market, increasing graphics performance at any given budget in that space.

Status
Not open for further replies.