Question A single ram stick works but two wont

Aug 2, 2023
I have a OptiPlex 3010 and tried running a hardware test, the test was successful but for a while. the motherboard has two memory slots and I have two identical rams that have been working from the past 4-5 years but suddenly wont work together. I have 2x4 gigs ram sticks and been using these for quite some time but after the test these don't work anymore. Any way to fix these or any help with these would be really appreciated.

the specs are
OptiPlex 3010
i5 3470
Nvidia GTX 1650 super
2x4 gigs ram
1 240 gigs SSD
1 500 gigs HDD

I have not overclocked the ram as my motherboard bios has no way of doing so.

I have tried the following :
1- Installed a fresh windows from a bootable usb
2- Installed the bios update given by the manufacturers
3- reseated the cpu (the cpu socket had a bent pin which I did fix and put it back in place)

{Note : The computer didn't post at all with two ram sticks with the bent pin, no peripherals and no display. but when I did somehow fix the bent pin the computer booted and gave a bsod with numerous codes (too many to count) the second the first dot of the windows loading came.}

4- Did a memtest86 on single ram sticks (both of them) which they passed but the software got stuck when two ram sticks were inserted
5- Saw some other threads which said the cpu cooler could be too hard so I gently put the cooler on top a lightly screwed it in which came with the same results.

Do I have to change the motherboard altogether because of that one bent pin or is it a problem with the voltage/the RAM sticks.
And yes the ram sticks a eligible with the motherboard and yes they worked for a pretty long time but after running the test they don't work anymore.

I can boot into the bios with both the ram sticks and they do come up on the system information tab in the bios settings

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2023
from a visual standpoint there arent any, if tried looking into the socket as far i could go but to no avail, there was only one pin that was bent and i fixed it. is there any other way to diagnosed it or i mightve ruined it in the process of fixing it

EDIT : I had to take the mobo out of the casing and had to look super hard and i found the culprit. it was a broken pin. i guess i mightve put the cpu wrong (cause i did once) and that mightve done the trick.

Last edited: