A Third Monitor

May 18, 2018
I have recently transitioned to working from home, and would like to add a third monitor to my setup. However the pc that work has provided only has two hdmi ports, and no other display capable ports available. There is a free usb 3.0 port available. I have found a plethora of converters available on amazon, however everything I have found requires drivers to be downloaded, which I cannot do on the work computer. I highly doubt that I will be allowed to download drivers for a device from an outside source, since I deal with financial information work is pretty strict on what can and cannot be stored on the drive. Does anyone know of either a device that converts hdmi (or dvi or vga) that does not require drivers to be downloaded, or otherwise an hdmi splitter that will allow the display to be extended as opposed to only duplicated?

Thank you so much for your time and help with this matter.

Adam

Solution
Hey Adam, unfortunately, HDMI doesn't allow you to split it into independent signals. This can be done through DisplayPort but it sounds like you don't have that. My only suggestion would be to get a larger monitor like an ultrawide if what you want is more desktop real state. But there's no solution that doesn't involve installing the USB drivers for an adapter. Regardless, those adapters are kind of slow and not very fluid with updating the screen picture. Could you tell us the model of your laptop? I doubt there will be another solution, but who knows, it may have some other way in your case.

CircuitDaemon

Honorable
Feb 23, 2016
Hey Adam, unfortunately, HDMI doesn't allow you to split it into independent signals. This can be done through DisplayPort but it sounds like you don't have that. My only suggestion would be to get a larger monitor like an ultrawide if what you want is more desktop real state. But there's no solution that doesn't involve installing the USB drivers for an adapter. Regardless, those adapters are kind of slow and not very fluid with updating the screen picture. Could you tell us the model of your laptop? I doubt there will be another solution, but who knows, it may have some other way in your case.

Solution
Sorry - there's no simple solution for this one. I think a usb3.0 is not really optimal for video anyways (even if you could install drivers). You really need a third video port or a PC with a Displayport. Then, you could daisy chain DisplayPort monitors together. How about begging or bribing your IT team for better hardware?