A true Noob Resolution question!

Apoc

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
I play MMO's with most of my gaming time, inbetween FPS installments like HL2 and F.E.A.R. . I was playing around with my Resoluitons to see what i could support but my games were unplayable (The MMO's). The fonts and power Icons were so small i could not read them. It felt like i was sitting 20 feet from the Monitor lol. Are High resolutions only for Action and FPS'????

SciFiMan

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
How big is your monitor? Higher rez equals smaller onscreen content. I guess that's why the big monitors have higher native resolution, since their increase real estate can support it without everything shrinking down. I suppose it's hard to notice when you're shooting tanks, but if you switch back to a word doc you'll need to squint.

ethel

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
Its the same with FPS games though as the text always scales down. However, you're more likely to want to ignore the insults that your opponents are throwing at you :)

Dr_asik

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
Increasing resolution means increasing the density of pixels. The higher the resolution, the finer the detail.

2D elements, such as text, the Windows interface and 2D games use a fixed number of pixels; increasing the resolution result in their size shrinking.

3D elements use a fixed size in the virtual space they are placed in; they will use whatever number of pixels they need to occupy this size. Therefore the higher the resolution, the more detailed they get, but their actual size remain the same.

In a 3D game like shooters, increasing the resolution will make the scene more fine and detailed, but the interface which is usually 2D will shrink in size.

Use whatever resolution you like best; higher is not always better.