[SOLVED] A Unknow psu, or a good deal?

Mar 24, 2020
Hi everyone, i recently bought a new 850W psu, the Seventeam V-Force 850W

ST-850Z-AF

Im not really good at psu, and couldn't find much info about it..
but for what i see it was a good psu some years ago

Can some one tell me more about it,
if it is good and if it has a good durability?

Solution
it was average when it came out and would not have been a "run away and NEVER buy one these" type things. i am assuming this is used which is the biggest concern. you have no idea what has been done to it in the possible 11 years of use. it should protect the pc from blowing up, but that does not mean a single part won't get damaged if one of the circuits goes.

i'd call it a decent stop gap until you can get a new more modern psu to replace it with, and i'd definitely actively look for something better!

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
that is a VERY old design from 2009. the couple reviews i could actually find still up tested it with core 2 quad systems!!

that alone is enough to make me pass on it. there have been a lot of innovations to psu's over the last 11 years!!! it tested ok but looked like an average psu overall with lots of noise in there.. you did not link to the seller so no clue what it costs. but i'd avoid it no matter what, just due to its age. it is apparently almost identical to a silverstone model which is not a bad thing.

if you provide where your located at and where you're looking to buy from, we can easily skim the listings and offer some suggestions for modern designs that are worth looking at.

full system specs is needed as well to see what kind of power you truly need. 850w is super overkill for pretty much any home system these days, even with the new intel chips sucking down 300+ watts.

Mar 24, 2020
It was actually realy cheap, and it's for a athlon 200ge build with 8gb ram build, i payed about 130R$, with would be about 25U$S, im mostly concerned if it will blow up something, it was the best thing that i could find that had active pfc, and 80 plus in a deep sea of 250w psu that can't even handle 175w

Here are some pictures that the seller sended to me

54rpVcd.jpg
zB6N0zB.jpg
JkHTvrU.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2020
And i do have a smd and common eletronics knowledge but to change bad caps, but mostly it seens to be in good condition, i even got a 3 month warranty with the seller on it

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
it was average when it came out and would not have been a "run away and NEVER buy one these" type things. i am assuming this is used which is the biggest concern. you have no idea what has been done to it in the possible 11 years of use. it should protect the pc from blowing up, but that does not mean a single part won't get damaged if one of the circuits goes.

i'd call it a decent stop gap until you can get a new more modern psu to replace it with, and i'd definitely actively look for something better!

Reactions: javadowload
Solution
Mar 24, 2020

Would a corsair VS400 hold the line better?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
for that system, i'd say it would be ok. it's very entry level and there are plenty of better options but for a low power budget system, it would be good enough.

you do need to be sure it can power whatever gpu you have in the system. it only has a single 6-pin so do check and be sure that your gpu only needs a 6-pin. if it needs more, then you need a bigger psu.

Reactions: javadowload