[SOLVED] A USB gen 3 on/off switch?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TLTH

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2014
Hello. I have an external audio interface connected to my PC, and because the USB ports are set to provide power even when the PC is turned off/sleeping (and it seems you can't choose only specific ports to pause power so it's either all of them have continuous power or having the wireless keyboard/mouse unable to wake the PC up) the interface is always turned on and kept somewhat warmer than I would've liked when it's summer.

So instead of having to remove either side of the USB every time, I'd rather have some sort of intermediate extender that doesn't impede power and data transfer and features an on/off switch. I searched and only found 1 such listing on eBay for an off-brand item that only ships within Australia.

Does anyone know a recommended option for this? Thanks in advance.

Solution
If you use the dedicated 12V/2A power adapter with your RME, it will stop taking power from the USB.

I think it's the best solution if power stability is primordial.

TLTH

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2014
If you use the dedicated 12V/2A power adapter with your RME, it will stop taking power from the USB.

I think it's the best solution if power stability is primordial.
Well, I'd rather not add more cords and socket usage. I thought about using this simple UGREEN adapter and connecting to it an A to C or C to C cable:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002238974672.html

But I was trying to ask the seller what is its data rate and voltage specs and they answered "it's not suitable for sound card, 480Mbps max". Why would that be? Probably they didn't understand the question. It is advertised as a "printer adapter", but that's probably only because this is the most common peripheral using a USB B 2.0 port.

Well, I'd rather not add more cords and socket usage. I thought about using this simple UGREEN adapter and connecting to it an A to C or C to C cable:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002238974672.html

But I was trying to ask the seller what is its data rate and voltage specs and they answered "it's not suitable for sound card, 480Mbps max". Why would that be? Probably they didn't understand the question. It is advertised as a "printer adapter", but that's probably only because this is the most common peripheral using a USB B 2.0 port.

Indeed, the photo of the item you mentioned above shows an adapter from USB type B to type C, it's usually the USB port on some scanner and printer.

TLTH

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2014
Indeed, the photo of the item you mentioned above shows an adapter from USB type B to type C, it's usually the USB port on some scanner and printer.
Right, and do you think it is reasonable this adapter won't work with an audio interface?

If it actually works at data rates up to 480Mbps, which is what a USB B 2.0 port supports, and what's left for it is to support the nominal USB 3.0 voltage and current (can it not support it somehow?), why should it be incompatible?

Right, and do you think it is reasonable this adapter won't work with an audio interface?

If it actually works at data rates up to 480Mbps, which is what a USB B 2.0 port supports, and what's left for it is to support the nominal USB 3.0 voltage and current (can it not support it somehow?), why should it be incompatible?

It will fully work if you can find the USB-B with power pins, some USB-B adapter/cable for scanner or printer only have data pins as those machines are powered separately by wall adapter.

TLTH

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2014
It will fully work if you can find the USB-B with power pins, some USB-B adapter/cable for scanner or printer only have data pins as those machines are powered separately by wall adapter.
You can't really see from the photos they've added, although in the sketch they've added the USB B male port is shows as having 4 pins, but that might just be a random drawing they put together. I guess for the price I'll just order one and see if it works. There are several cable-form adapters that are more certain to work, but this is the most compact option.

You can't really see from the photos they've added, although in the sketch they've added the USB B male port is shows as having 4 pins, but that might just be a random drawing they put together. I guess for the price I'll just order one and see if it works. There are several cable-form adapters that are more certain to work, but this is the most compact option.

What I don't really like about this adapter is that it's on the audio device side, I would prefer something that is located on the computer size, or more ideally in the middle of the two.

TLTH

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2014
What I don't really like about this adapter is that it's on the audio device side, I would prefer something that is located on the computer size, or more ideally in the middle of the two.
Why?

And I called some local store that sells it to check to specs and the person said it's cited for charging as well.

Why?

And I called some local store that sells it to check to specs and the person said it's cited for charging as well.

Just personal preference, I have used the USB-B on a couple of devices like Iomega Zip, scanner, printer and some other things (this type of port was quite popular decade ago). It seems that if you make it wiggle often it will become loose. USB-B port still exists today because sometime manufacturers are forced to save space on the PCB, if for some reason they can't use Micro USB or USB-C, the old USB-B is the ideal replacement thanks to its small size.

So will you give it a try?

TLTH

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2014
Just personal preference, I have used the USB-B on a couple of devices like Iomega Zip, scanner, printer and some other things (this type of port was quite popular decade ago). It seems that if you make it wiggle often it will become loose. USB-B port still exists today because sometime manufacturers are forced to save space on the PCB, if for some reason they can't use Micro USB or USB-C, the old USB-B is the ideal replacement thanks to its small size.

So will you give it a try?
USB B 2.0 is larger than USB C, so I'm not sure how does it save space. And regarding the PCB if the size involves the USB standard, I think a USB C shaped connector can be made along a USB 2 standard so the electronics on the PCB shouldn't be different.

And yeah, I ordered it along a 90° cable so it would basically connect like I had it with the original cable. I wanted it as USB C because it's smoother connection should make unwanted wiggling lesser.

USB B 2.0 is larger than USB C, so I'm not sure how does it save space. And regarding the PCB if the size involves the USB standard, I think a USB C shaped connector can be made along a USB 2 standard so the electronics on the PCB shouldn't be different.

The first motherboard with USB-C port appeared sometime in 2016, but as the average lifespan of the motherboard is 3 to 5 years, you just can't replace everything with USB-C because few buyers would buy such items, you still have to use standard USB A or B (micro version of USB A & B might be too fragile).

USB-A receptable is larger than USB-B receptacle, on a small device with many input/output like yours, every millimeter counts, I can clearly see why they did use USB-B instead of USB-A.

Design-wise, the square USB port looks nicer with the the DC in next to it.

babyface_pro_connections.jpg

TLTH

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2014
The first motherboard with USB-C port appeared sometime in 2016, but as the average lifespan of the motherboard is 3 to 5 years, you just can't replace everything with USB-C because few buyers would buy such items, you still have to use standard USB A or B (micro version of USB A & B might be too fragile).

USB-A receptable is larger than USB-B receptacle, on a small device with many input/output like yours, every millimeter counts, I can clearly see why they did use USB-B instead of USB-A.

Design-wise, the square USB port looks nicer with the the DC in next to it.

babyface_pro_connections.jpg
Ah, for some reason I thought you said it is small than type C or Micro, not that if C or Micro aren't possible, than it's the next best option. So the order is on the way from AliExpress, probably a couple of weeks until I'll be able to test this setup.