Rigit

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003
I am runnig winxp sp2. Since around the time I installed sp2, I have been unable to defragment my disk. I did manage to get it to do it once but that was it. It refragmented quickly. It will again not defrag. It also won't check the disk saying that win needs exclusive access to some files. I did get it to run at startup but I could not read the result fast enough till win moved on. Acording to a scan at PC Pitstop (I don't know how reliable that is.) The disk is 1% frag with 17% of data. Over 200 frag files. I have used vopt xp wich either locks up or takes hours to run and acoplishes nothing. I've tried an evaluation copy of perfect disk 7.0. Win built in defrag program and they all do the same. Take hours to do nothing. My machine is starting to get slow. It takes several seconds to pull up a web browser. Pages are slow to load too. DL speed is good @ 1400kbps on a 1500kbps dsl line. I scanned for spyware with spybot s&d nothing. I scanned for virus with ez antivirus from CA. nothing. I'm at my wits end with htis mess. Everything I know to try has been done with no solution. Man I'll take any suggestions. Thanks
specs:
amd 1700+
512 MB pc133 sdram
WD 40GB HDD
ECS K7S5A MB

rigit

bjpatrick

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2004
Download a free copy of AVG, Ad-Ware, and Spybot: update and run these programs. If that does not work then reinstall Windows. You should not have to wipe your drive clean maybe just do a repair.