A7N8X-E Deluxe + WinTV PVR-250 Problems

Had this mobo for a couple of weeks now and it's causing me big
headaches. My configuration is:

A7N8X-E Deluxe
Radeon 9600 XT SE
SATA Disk
WinTV PVR-250
D-Link DBT-120 BT USB
XP Pro SP1

The problem is related to the PVR-250. The symptoms are,
suddenly the PVR-250 will stop working, with a generic error message
hTV=0. After reinstalling the PVR-250 drivers, it will immediately
start working again. It will then work until X # of reboots later when
it will stop working. This is typically after a couple of days or
so. A lot of people have been having this problem, see

http://www.shspvr.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4115&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

And quite a few with this mobo, and some with other nforce2 based
mobos. Then again, a lot of people are using the PVR-250 without
problems, so that's why I'm suspecting this is a conflict with drivers
or mobo.

After reinstalling the drivers for the PVR-250, the DBT-120 will stop
working, forcing a reinstall of those drivers as well.

I've tried different versions of the PVR-250 drivers. I have installed
the 3.13 unified nforce2 driver. I have also reinstalled XP, without
the BT adapter, not installing any software except the PVR-250 driver
and applications and installing 3.13. Still fails.

I don't know what else to try, but I'm prepared to buy a new mobo, say
the VIA based A7V600, if that will give me a stable system.

Please help. Any suggestions are welcome.

--
Johan

"Johan Parin" <Johan.Parin@abc.se> wrote in message

> Had this mobo for a couple of weeks now and it's causing me big
> headaches. My configuration is:
>
> A7N8X-E Deluxe
> Radeon 9600 XT SE
> SATA Disk
> WinTV PVR-250
> D-Link DBT-120 BT USB
> XP Pro SP1
>
> The problem is related to the PVR-250. The symptoms are,
> suddenly the PVR-250 will stop working, with a generic error message
> hTV=0. After reinstalling the PVR-250 drivers, it will immediately
> start working again. It will then work until X # of reboots later when
> it will stop working. This is typically after a couple of days or
> so. A lot of people have been having this problem, see

http://www.shspvr.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4115&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

> And quite a few with this mobo, and some with other nforce2 based
> mobos. Then again, a lot of people are using the PVR-250 without
> problems, so that's why I'm suspecting this is a conflict with drivers
> or mobo.
>
> After reinstalling the drivers for the PVR-250, the DBT-120 will stop
> working, forcing a reinstall of those drivers as well.
>
> I've tried different versions of the PVR-250 drivers. I have installed
> the 3.13 unified nforce2 driver. I have also reinstalled XP, without
> the BT adapter, not installing any software except the PVR-250 driver
> and applications and installing 3.13. Still fails.
>
> I don't know what else to try, but I'm prepared to buy a new mobo, say
> the VIA based A7V600, if that will give me a stable system.
>
> Please help. Any suggestions are welcome.
>

> --
> Johan

been having the same problem. had to reinstall
the PVR-250 drivers after about 2-3 boots.
I read through the posts at the link you provided
and tried some of their ideas and it seemed to
have fixed my problem. At least its still working
after 4 boots which it never did before.
here's what I did
1 ran hcwclear.exe
2 used a regeditor (not a cleaner) program and deleted all references to
wintv and haupauge.
3 deleted all files in windows\prefetch
4 rebooted and installed drivers and tv programs

Jim Manning

"JBM" <jmanning95@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Johan Parin" <Johan.Parin@abc.se> wrote in message
> >
> > Had this mobo for a couple of weeks now and it's causing me big
> > headaches. My configuration is:
> >
> > A7N8X-E Deluxe
> > Radeon 9600 XT SE
> > SATA Disk
> > WinTV PVR-250
> > D-Link DBT-120 BT USB
> > XP Pro SP1
> >
> > The problem is related to the PVR-250. The symptoms are,
> > suddenly the PVR-250 will stop working, with a generic error message
> > hTV=0. After reinstalling the PVR-250 drivers, it will immediately
> > start working again. It will then work until X # of reboots later when
> > it will stop working. This is typically after a couple of days or
> > so. A lot of people have been having this problem, see

http://www.shspvr.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4115&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

> > And quite a few with this mobo, and some with other nforce2 based
> > mobos. Then again, a lot of people are using the PVR-250 without
> > problems, so that's why I'm suspecting this is a conflict with drivers
> > or mobo.
> >
> > After reinstalling the drivers for the PVR-250, the DBT-120 will stop
> > working, forcing a reinstall of those drivers as well.
> >
> > I've tried different versions of the PVR-250 drivers. I have installed
> > the 3.13 unified nforce2 driver. I have also reinstalled XP, without
> > the BT adapter, not installing any software except the PVR-250 driver
> > and applications and installing 3.13. Still fails.
> >
> > I don't know what else to try, but I'm prepared to buy a new mobo, say
> > the VIA based A7V600, if that will give me a stable system.
> >
> > Please help. Any suggestions are welcome.
> >

> > --
> > Johan
>
> been having the same problem. had to reinstall
> the PVR-250 drivers after about 2-3 boots.
> I read through the posts at the link you provided
> and tried some of their ideas and it seemed to
> have fixed my problem. At least its still working
> after 4 boots which it never did before.
> here's what I did
> 1 ran hcwclear.exe
> 2 used a regeditor (not a cleaner) program and deleted all references to
> wintv and haupauge.
> 3 deleted all files in windows\prefetch
> 4 rebooted and installed drivers and tv programs
>
> Jim Manning

Spoke too soon, I still have this problem

peter

I am using the PVR250 on a A7N8X deluxe ver 2 without problems.It is the encoder
16 version with the 2029 drivers.I had a problem on the initial install as it
was using the same IRQ as my vid card so I uninstalled completely and moved to a
different PCI slot and reinstalled.I am NOT using their PVR software I use
Snapstream's Beyond TV because I had read that Hauppauge's software was
troublesome.Beyond TV can be downloaded for a free tial .
peter

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 23:23:38 GMT, "peter" <peter@telus.net> said:

> I am using the PVR250 on a A7N8X deluxe ver 2 without problems.It
> is the encoder 16 version with the 2029 drivers.I had a problem on
> the initial install as it was using the same IRQ as my vid card so
> I uninstalled completely and moved to a different PCI slot and
> reinstalled.I am NOT using their PVR software I use Snapstream's
> Beyond TV because I had read that Hauppauge's software was
> troublesome.Beyond TV can be downloaded for a free tial

Thanks for the info. I'm using SageTV myself, but when the hTV=0 error
occurs SageTV doesn't work either. I have the same driver version as you.

Why would it be a problem sharing IRQ with the vid card? The PCI bus
is designed for interrupt sharing, right?

--
Johan

JBM <jmanning95@hotmail.com> writes:

> Spoke too soon, I still have this problem

That's what I suspected. I've once been able to boot 13 times before
it failed.

Question: do you also have your PVR-250 in slot 2, i.e. sharing
interrupt with the AGP slot?

--

> JBM <jmanning95@hotmail.com> writes:
>
> > Spoke too soon, I still have this problem
>
> That's what I suspected. I've once been able to boot 13 times before
> it failed.
>
> Question: do you also have your PVR-250 in slot 2, i.e. sharing
> interrupt with the AGP slot?
>
> --
> Johan

I had it in slot 5 when I wrote the above, which according
to the manual shouldn't be sharing since I don't have
a card in slot 1. But I've moved the card to slot 4 and I didn't
check in device manager before doing so.
Actually I only have a video card and a PVR-250 card
in this system. I plan on cycling through the PCI slots
maybe it will work in one of them.

Jim M

peter

I understand it to be designed for IRQ sharing...but in real life or maybe just
in my case it had a problem
and refused to function properly. I moved it and it worked....I never question
when it functions as it should!!
peter

> Had this mobo for a couple of weeks now and it's causing me big
> headaches. My configuration is:
>
> A7N8X-E Deluxe
> Radeon 9600 XT SE
> SATA Disk
> WinTV PVR-250
> D-Link DBT-120 BT USB
> XP Pro SP1
>
> The problem is related to the PVR-250. The symptoms are,
> suddenly the PVR-250 will stop working, with a generic error message
> hTV=0. After reinstalling the PVR-250 drivers, it will immediately
> start working again. It will then work until X # of reboots later when
> it will stop working. This is typically after a couple of days or
> so. A lot of people have been having this problem, see

http://www.shspvr.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4115&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

> And quite a few with this mobo, and some with other nforce2 based
> mobos. Then again, a lot of people are using the PVR-250 without
> problems, so that's why I'm suspecting this is a conflict with drivers
> or mobo.
>
> After reinstalling the drivers for the PVR-250, the DBT-120 will stop
> working, forcing a reinstall of those drivers as well.
>
> I've tried different versions of the PVR-250 drivers. I have installed
> the 3.13 unified nforce2 driver. I have also reinstalled XP, without
> the BT adapter, not installing any software except the PVR-250 driver
> and applications and installing 3.13. Still fails.
>
> I don't know what else to try, but I'm prepared to buy a new mobo, say
> the VIA based A7V600, if that will give me a stable system.
>
> Please help. Any suggestions are welcome.
>

> --
> Johan

I've tried my PVR-250 in every PCI slot, did a clean install
of XP and I still have this problem. I tried it in a P4C800-D
and it works perfectly.
I did notice one thing though, in device manager on the
A7N8X-E the memory for the PVR-250 is also being used
by 'PCI standard PCI to PCI bridge' which may be normal,
I don't know. But on the P4C800 it has a separate memory
allocation.

> "Johan Parin" <Johan.Parin@abc.se> wrote in message
> >
> > Had this mobo for a couple of weeks now and it's causing me big
> > headaches. My configuration is:
> >
> > A7N8X-E Deluxe
> > Radeon 9600 XT SE
> > SATA Disk
> > WinTV PVR-250
> > D-Link DBT-120 BT USB
> > XP Pro SP1
> >
> > The problem is related to the PVR-250. The symptoms are,
> > suddenly the PVR-250 will stop working, with a generic error message
> > hTV=0. After reinstalling the PVR-250 drivers, it will immediately
> > start working again. It will then work until X # of reboots later when
> > it will stop working. This is typically after a couple of days or
> > so. A lot of people have been having this problem, see

http://www.shspvr.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4115&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

> > And quite a few with this mobo, and some with other nforce2 based
> > mobos. Then again, a lot of people are using the PVR-250 without
> > problems, so that's why I'm suspecting this is a conflict with drivers
> > or mobo.
> >
> > After reinstalling the drivers for the PVR-250, the DBT-120 will stop
> > working, forcing a reinstall of those drivers as well.
> >
> > I've tried different versions of the PVR-250 drivers. I have installed
> > the 3.13 unified nforce2 driver. I have also reinstalled XP, without
> > the BT adapter, not installing any software except the PVR-250 driver
> > and applications and installing 3.13. Still fails.
> >
> > I don't know what else to try, but I'm prepared to buy a new mobo, say
> > the VIA based A7V600, if that will give me a stable system.
> >
> > Please help. Any suggestions are welcome.
> >

> > --
> > Johan
>
> I've tried my PVR-250 in every PCI slot, did a clean install
> of XP and I still have this problem. I tried it in a P4C800-D
> and it works perfectly.
> I did notice one thing though, in device manager on the
> A7N8X-E the memory for the PVR-250 is also being used
> by 'PCI standard PCI to PCI bridge' which may be normal,
> I don't know. But on the P4C800 it has a separate memory
> allocation.
>
> Jim Manning

Forgot to add
After I boot and the problem occurs the PVR-250 is not
listed in the memory list in device manager. But it still has
the same IRQ (which isn't shared). Not sure if the bridge is
still using the same memory, but there are other bridges
listed that are not sharing memory with other devices.

> I had it in slot 5 when I wrote the above, which according
> to the manual shouldn't be sharing since I don't have
> a card in slot 1. But I've moved the card to slot 4 and I didn't
> check in device manager before doing so.
> Actually I only have a video card and a PVR-250 card
> in this system. I plan on cycling through the PCI slots
> maybe it will work in one of them.

Did you have any success with this?

I tried moving mine from slot 2 to slot 3 (it now does not share IRQ with
the video card), but I still have the same problem.

--
Johan

> > I've tried my PVR-250 in every PCI slot, did a clean install
> > of XP and I still have this problem. I tried it in a P4C800-D
> > and it works perfectly.
> > I did notice one thing though, in device manager on the
> > A7N8X-E the memory for the PVR-250 is also being used
> > by 'PCI standard PCI to PCI bridge' which may be normal,
> > I don't know. But on the P4C800 it has a separate memory
> > allocation.
> >
> > Jim Manning
> >

> Forgot to add
> After I boot and the problem occurs the PVR-250 is not
> listed in the memory list in device manager. But it still has
> the same IRQ (which isn't shared). Not sure if the bridge is
> still using the same memory, but there are other bridges
> listed that are not sharing memory with other devices.

Thanks for the info. It would appear to me that a bridge by it's very nature
would share memory with other devices, but I may be wrong.

One thing I forgot to mention is that it works (for me) to delete everything
in the \windows\prefetch folder before rebooting. This can easily be
automated with a bat file. Even if this is a semi-acceptable workaround, I
want to know the *cause* of the problem is.. And anyway, there is no
guarantee that this will work when there is a second PVR-250 installed
(which I plan to get).

--

> "JBM" <jmanning95@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > I've tried my PVR-250 in every PCI slot, did a clean install
> > > of XP and I still have this problem. I tried it in a P4C800-D
> > > and it works perfectly.
> > > I did notice one thing though, in device manager on the
> > > A7N8X-E the memory for the PVR-250 is also being used
> > > by 'PCI standard PCI to PCI bridge' which may be normal,
> > > I don't know. But on the P4C800 it has a separate memory
> > > allocation.
> > >
> > > Jim Manning
> > >

> > Forgot to add
> > After I boot and the problem occurs the PVR-250 is not
> > listed in the memory list in device manager. But it still has
> > the same IRQ (which isn't shared). Not sure if the bridge is
> > still using the same memory, but there are other bridges
> > listed that are not sharing memory with other devices.
> >

> Thanks for the info. It would appear to me that a bridge by it's very
nature
> would share memory with other devices, but I may be wrong.
>
> One thing I forgot to mention is that it works (for me) to delete
everything
> in the \windows\prefetch folder before rebooting. This can easily be
> automated with a bat file. Even if this is a semi-acceptable workaround, I
> want to know the *cause* of the problem is.. And anyway, there is no
> guarantee that this will work when there is a second PVR-250 installed
> (which I plan to get).
>

> --
> Johan

Thanks for the tip.
I made a batch file that executes at logoff.
So far its working.

Jim M

peter

I have mine in the bottom most slot and its using IRQ 16 all by its lonesome
self.
If I remember right I had to move something to use that slot(Firewire or USB I
think)
peter

"peter" <peter@telus.net> wrote in message
> I have mine in the bottom most slot and its using IRQ 16 all by its
lonesome
> self.
> If I remember right I had to move something to use that slot(Firewire or
USB I
> think)
> peter

I have mine in the same slot and its using irq 16 by its self.
but I still have to reload drivers after 2-3 reboots unless I
delete the files in the prefech folder as suggested by Johan

Jim M