[SOLVED] A7SIII Footage - What Laptops are capable of editing the 10bit 4K 120 footage?

Mar 8, 2021
I'll cut straight to the point here. I've been looking a lot at the a7SIII as an upgrade from my A7III. The main thing holding me back is deciding what hardware I'll need to be able to edit the footage without transcoding/using proxies. I've heard a lot about many computers struggling with the codecs, and am frankly stuck on what level of machine I'll need for this. I've been looking at a few different machines (I need a laptop for the nature of my work), but can't find much as to what level of laptop I'll need for this. Shall I wait for the new batch of M1 macs, or will a dell XPS 15, or 17 cut it? I'd prefer to stay with windows, but I've been hearing good things about the M1 macs.

Help and discussion very much appreciated with this.

Solution
I gathered that it is pretty difficult... I just feel like if I'm spending 5-6K AUD on a system, I'd want to be able to play my footage back in premiere at full resolution. What would you personally transcode that H.265 footage to then? And taking this into account, it would still be good to know your opinions on an appropriate system to optimise workflow in premiere given the above.
ASUS PROART STUDIOBOOK PRO 15 QUADRO RTX 5000, 15.6", I7, 2TB SSD, 48GB
Personally recommend from nvidia themselfs website just $4000usd before tax and everything
As for a decoder or any od that im sorry not sure on type of things you are trying to work on or any of that so it can be hard certain things can cause different outcomes for...
I'll cut straight to the point here. I've been looking a lot at the a7SIII as an upgrade from my A7III. The main thing holding me back is deciding what hardware I'll need to be able to edit the footage without transcoding/using proxies. I've heard a lot about many computers struggling with the codecs, and am frankly stuck on what level of machine I'll need for this. I've been looking at a few different machines (I need a laptop for the nature of my work), but can't find much as to what level of laptop I'll need for this. Shall I wait for the new batch of M1 macs, or will a dell XPS 15, or 17 cut it? I'd prefer to stay with windows, but I've been hearing good things about the M1 macs.

Okay before i go in to helping and working on a reply to this YES APPLE IS GREAT " qoute me on this any day of the week apple is ****" never trust apple stay with windows you pay for a lot but unlike apple not EVERYTHING YOU NEED"" They aren't unhackable like eveyone thinks they actually have one of the biggest holes ever... The reason people aren't to noted on the factor of it is apple hides things very well tell lately when some of there security has come under fire..... Stay with windows your just as better off

Standard VLC media player will lag on Windows when trying to play back 4k 120 fps H265 footage from a7s iii or even H264. You need a hardware decoder for it. It dosn't matter the video card and mine is able to play it back only in DaVinci Resolve Studio, with hardware decoding enabled.
Editing such footage directly is still not practical - too slow to move around, so I use Proxy media - transcode into DNXHR codec at half or quarter resolution "ashpushkins"
It's not just vlc... It's all you basically can have a top of the line system and will still need encoding or proxie or some way of leveling the feild the machine jsur wont be able to handle the work load on it's own there is trans communication thats need for smooth workablity on this...

Mar 8, 2021
Okay before i go in to helping and working on a reply to this YES APPLE IS GREAT " qoute me on this any day of the week apple is ****" never trust apple stay with windows you pay for a lot but unlike apple not EVERYTHING YOU NEED"" They aren't unhackable like eveyone thinks they actually have one of the biggest holes ever... The reason people aren't to noted on the factor of it is apple hides things very well tell lately when some of there security has come under fire..... Stay with windows your just as better off

Noted. And believe me, I personally am not a fan of apple OS and the limitations of it. But from a hardware perspective the results coming out of the M1s is pretty impressive and I've seen good things in regards to video editing. But anyhow - continue with your response!

Mar 8, 2021
Standard VLC media player will lag on Windows when trying to play back 4k 120 fps H265 footage from a7s iii or even H264. You need a hardware decoder for it. It dosn't matter the video card and mine is able to play it back only in DaVinci Resolve Studio, with hardware decoding enabled.
Editing such footage directly is still not practical - too slow to move around, so I use Proxy media - transcode into DNXHR codec at half or quarter resolution "ashpushkins"
It's not just vlc... It's all you basically can have a top of the line system and will still need encoding or proxie or some way of leveling the feild the machine jsur wont be able to handle the work load on it's own there is trans communication thats need for smooth workablity on this...

I gathered that it is pretty difficult... I just feel like if I'm spending 5-6K AUD on a system, I'd want to be able to play my footage back in premiere at full resolution. What would you personally transcode that H.265 footage to then? And taking this into account, it would still be good to know your opinions on an appropriate system to optimise workflow in premiere given the above.

ASUS PROART STUDIOBOOK PRO 15 QUADRO RTX 5000, 15.6", I7, 2TB SSD, 48GB
Personally recommend from nvidia themselfs website just $4000usd before tax and everything
As for a decoder or any od that im sorry not sure on type of things you are trying to work on or any of that so it can be hard certain things can cause different outcomes for people and id rather not screw up any of your ongoing projects if any by adding interference

Solution