A8N-SLI Deluxe USB problems

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

I have an ancient webcam that I used with my old computer (that
computer only had USB 1.1) and it worked fine. I could get 30FPS video
at 320x240 with my old machine, but when I plug it in to the onboard
USB on the A8N-SLI it refuses to run at 30fps. And if I plug two
webcams in at once, both only run at 15fps and additionally it will
tell me that USB bandwidth was exceeded!

I put in the USB 2.0 PCI card I got for my old machine and tried that
and now I can get 30fps on the old camera and use both with no error
messages.

What gives with the A8N's USB? It claims to be USB 2.0 but doesn't
even have the bandwidth of USB 1.1. I'm not using any more or less USB
devices than I was on my old machine.

The CD that comes with the motherboard says USB 2.0 drivers are not
necessary and to just install Windows XP Service Pack 2, but when I do
I still have a yellow '?' in device manager until I have windows search
for new drivers. Then the yellow '?' goes away but the webcams don't
perform any differently on the onboard USB even after being reinstalled.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Try uninstalling the device in Device Manager, rebooting, and when it
detects new hardward point it to the CD that came with the camera. Maybe
that will work???

HTH
"Cynoclast" <cynoclast@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I have an ancient webcam that I used with my old computer (that
> computer only had USB 1.1) and it worked fine. I could get 30FPS video
> at 320x240 with my old machine, but when I plug it in to the onboard
> USB on the A8N-SLI it refuses to run at 30fps. And if I plug two
> webcams in at once, both only run at 15fps and additionally it will
> tell me that USB bandwidth was exceeded!
>
> I put in the USB 2.0 PCI card I got for my old machine and tried that
> and now I can get 30fps on the old camera and use both with no error
> messages.
>
> What gives with the A8N's USB? It claims to be USB 2.0 but doesn't
> even have the bandwidth of USB 1.1. I'm not using any more or less USB
> devices than I was on my old machine.
>
> The CD that comes with the motherboard says USB 2.0 drivers are not
> necessary and to just install Windows XP Service Pack 2, but when I do
> I still have a yellow '?' in device manager until I have windows search
> for new drivers. Then the yellow '?' goes away but the webcams don't
> perform any differently on the onboard USB even after being reinstalled.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

USB 2.0 drivers ARE in the SP2 update, and they DO work!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

Crusty (-: Old B@stard :) wrote:
> USB 2.0 drivers ARE in the SP2 update, and they DO work!

They're also in SP1 and they also work.

Ben

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

They don't work for me.

Cynoclast wrote:
> They don't work for me.

Well, you don't know that, the webcam probably isn't USB 2.0.

How old is this camera? It could be doing something strange on the USB
bus that the motherboard's controller doesn't like.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

You have hit the critical point, I believe: if the Web Cam is old [more
than 2-3 years old], it is NOT USB 2.0 enabled. The manual/instructions
that came with it should be consulted.
Gene K

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 11:09:21 -0500, Not Me wrote:

> You have hit the critical point, I believe: if the Web Cam is old [more
> than 2-3 years old], it is NOT USB 2.0 enabled. The manual/instructions
> that came with it should be consulted.
> Gene K

But USB 2 is backwards compatible with most 1.1 devices.

What makes this particular issue odd is that the 1.1 camera works on a 2.0
card. It isn't working on the USB ports that come off of the mainboard
(supposedly 2.0 as well). It sounds like there is something wrong with the
USB 2 implementation on the motherboard.

There is also a message about exceeding bandwidth when using the builtin
USB ports. Another less common event. More often seen with a USB hub or
other peripheral USB slot (in a keyboard, on a monitor, etc). If the main
USB controller isn't getting enough power... how is the USB card managing
to deliver enough?

Sounds like something is not quite right with this board but this is not my
field of expertise and am guessing.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User