A8V Deluxe Promise RAID Controller ?!?!?

The Promise RAID controller on this board is driving me nuts!
I'm trying to use the Promise PDC 20378 controller in IDE mode to control a
single hard drive.

If I set the controller to RAID mode in the BIOS, it is detected and the
drivers load fine. Of course the single hard drive is not configured for
RAID, so I get warned on boot that no RAID array is present.

If I go into the BIOS and change the Promise controller to IDE mode, the
single drive is detected during boot, but when Windows XP (SP2) boots up,
the hard drive is not in the drive list and in Device Manager, the Promise
Controller is flagged as not operating correctly with the Error [10 Device
could not start].

Anybody have a clue what's wrong?
TIA!

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Did you install the IDE version of the drivers in windows ?

-Larry

"Larry" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> Did you install the IDE version of the drivers in windows ?
>
> -Larry

To make myself more clear, I'm trying to work with the Parallel ATA RAID
controller (3rd IDE connector, colored red) on the motherboard. The only
driver supplied on the CD for the Promise RAID controller is the one for
RAID, which is rejected if the controller is set in IDE mode in the BIOS.
If you know where the "IDE version of the drivers" can be found, please tell
me.
Thanks.

KS

Distinguished
May 2, 2004

Just to the information.
I have buildt many asus machines but this motherboard is something. I have
never had problem installing asus board with SATA and I think I have build
10 different models the last 10 years. I tried to install the a sata
harddrive for windows and xp but after days of pain I gave up. To install a
singel drive, not raid, I first installed with a IDE disk. Installed all the
drivers and the OS, and then when everthing run smooth, I ghost the IDE
drive to a SATA harddrive. That was the only way I could make the ¤&%/:(
thing work. This motherboard is the worst ever when it comes to installing
sata, and they didnt supply the sata driver on floppy either but on the cd.
How many people have several machine standing by with floppy like I do?

Peter van der Goes wrote:
> "Larry" <none@none.com> wrote in message
>
>>Did you install the IDE version of the drivers in windows ?
>>
>>-Larry
>>

> To make myself more clear, I'm trying to work with the Parallel ATA RAID
> controller (3rd IDE connector, colored red) on the motherboard. The only
> driver supplied on the CD for the Promise RAID controller is the one for
> RAID, which is rejected if the controller is set in IDE mode in the BIOS.
> If you know where the "IDE version of the drivers" can be found, please tell
> me.
> Thanks.

Hi

I may be speaking out of turn here and do not know if this is relevant
to you. I have a A7V333 board with raid. It has the extra channels you
mention. As supplied I could not get the raid channels to accept just as
an extra drive. I then discovered the Lumberjacker site
http://web21.p15131386.pureserver.info/http://web21.p15131386.pureserver.info/

He hacks the BIOS to accept extra drives, and with me has been trouble
free. There is also a method for installing the BIOS which needs to be
followed so as the correct drivers are installed. See here
http://tinyurl.com/5nhtn.

Hope this sets you in the right direction.

--
Regards

David G
(remove r u n)

In Nachricht news:YIxAd.16086$ql2.8638@okepread04,
Peter van der Goes <p_vandergoes@toadstool.u> schrieb:

>> Did you install the IDE version of the drivers in windows ?

> To make myself more clear, I'm trying to work with the Parallel
> ATA RAID controller (3rd IDE connector, colored red) on the
> motherboard. The only driver supplied on the CD for the Promise
> RAID controller is the one for RAID, which is rejected if the
> controller is set in IDE mode in the BIOS. If you know where
> the "IDE version of the drivers" can be found, please tell me.

You have to remove the raid-driver and install the ata-driver instead.
This driver can be found here:
http://www.asus.it/support/download/selectftp.aspx?l1_id=1&l2_id=21&l3_id=1&m_id=1&f_name=378ata_100104528.zip~zaqwedc

--
Viele Grüße,
Stephan Collet

"Stephan Collet" <news.stephan.collet@arcor.de> wrote in message
> In Nachricht news:YIxAd.16086$ql2.8638@okepread04,
>
> You have to remove the raid-driver and install the ata-driver instead.
> This driver can be found here:
> http://www.asus.it/support/download/selectftp.aspx?l1_id=1&l2_id=21&l3_id=1&m_id=1&f_name=378ata_100104528.zip~zaqwedc
>
> --
> Viele Grüße,
> Stephan Collet

I appreciate the pointer, but the driver you suggest is described as the
Promise SATA RAID controller driver. I'm attempting to get the Promise ATA
Raid controller to work in its advertised IDE mode.
Please tell me if I'm missing something here. Have you used this driver to
operate the Promise ATA RAID controller successfully in IDE mode on an A8V?

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

There's a driver for that too. I believe I got it from ASUS's Web Site.

There are two versions. 378ata_100104528.zip for ATA use and
378raid_100137.zip for RAID use.

In Nachricht news:ZdGAd.16092$ql2.4696@okepread04,
Peter van der Goes <p_vandergoes@toadstool.u> schrieb:

http://www.asus.it/support/download/selectftp.aspx?l1_id=1&l2_id=21&l3_id=1&m_id=1&f_name=378ata_100104528.zip~zaqwedc

> I appreciate the pointer, but the driver you suggest is
> described as the Promise SATA RAID controller driver.

No, it isn't. It's no RAID driver.

> I'm
> attempting to get the Promise ATA Raid controller to work in
> its advertised IDE mode.

You should try this driver I mentioned above.

> Have you used this driver to operate the
> Promise ATA RAID controller successfully in IDE mode on an A8V?

Yes. I'm running one SATA-Channel in IDE mode with my 74 GB Raptor. It
also works on the IDE-Connector.

--

> In Nachricht news:ZdGAd.16092$ql2.4696@okepread04,
>
> No, it isn't. It's no RAID driver.
>
>> I'm
>> attempting to get the Promise ATA Raid controller to work in
>> its advertised IDE mode.
>
> You should try this driver I mentioned above.
>
>> Have you used this driver to operate the
>> Promise ATA RAID controller successfully in IDE mode on an A8V?
>
> Yes. I'm running one SATA-Channel in IDE mode with my 74 GB Raptor. It
> also works on the IDE-Connector.

OK, thanks very much. I'll install it and see what happens...

> --
> Viele Grüße,
> Stephan Collet

"Stephan Collet" <news.stephan.collet@arcor.de> wrote in message

> No, it isn't. It's no RAID driver.
>
>> I'm
>> attempting to get the Promise ATA Raid controller to work in
>> its advertised IDE mode.
>
> You should try this driver I mentioned above.
>
> Yes. I'm running one SATA-Channel in IDE mode with my 74 GB Raptor. It
> also works on the IDE-Connector.
>
> --
> Viele Grüße,
> Stephan Collet

It works (duh)!
You are correct. I've finally figured out that there are two different sets
of drivers for the Promise controller, and that the one you cite (even
though Asus describes it as a RAID driver) *is* the correct driver for the
Promise controller in IDE mode.
Thanks very much for bearing with me through this!

> There's a driver for that too. I believe I got it from ASUS's Web Site.
>
> There are two versions. 378ata_100104528.zip for ATA use and
> 378raid_100137.zip for RAID use.
>
> -Larry

I've now successfully installed that driver with the Promise controller in
IDE mode, and it works as it should.
Thank you (and the others here) for bearing with me through this.
The lesson I've learned is that this group produces better information than
the manufacturer.
I really appreciate the help!

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

You are quite welcome :)

I do believe the VIA controller, for single-drive use at least, is a bit
faster than the Promise controller.

So I've heard at least. I've always had the Promise disabled in the BIOS
since I don't use it (for now).