Question Abnormal performance in one game

husen1015

Commendable
Oct 10, 2017
Hi. I recently bought mgsv (I know I'm late) and I'm having a very hard time playing it on my gtx 1070 and i5 8600k
Basically no matter how much I play with the graphical settings the game keeps having sharp drops to the 30s and 40s in fps and it makes the game Unplayable especially when riding the horse.
I made sure all my drivers are up to date and I used afterburner to monitor the game and these are the resultsAfterburner results . It's also important to note that this is the only game in which I'm having this problem

husen1015

Commendable
Oct 10, 2017
Have you tried using GeForce experience and let it set the graphic settings?
Yes. I tried doing that and at first it strangely set my resolution to 4k even though I have a 1080p monitor. Even stranger at 4k the gpu was at 98% usage. When I switched back to 1080p (both in game and in Geforce Experience) the low usage returned

To the OP, are you overclocking, either CPU/GPU? If so take the OC off, run at stock and test again.

Also, try uninstalling the game, and re-installing. Then try again. Where did you download the game? Is this a cracked game or retail/online purchase through Steam/Origin or something?

It's worth doing a clean install of your GPU drivers. Uninstall using DDU, and re-install using the clean install option in the custom menu in the nvidia installer.

Make sure your system drivers and bios are up to date too. Lets rule out as much as possible from a software point of view.

This is a bad idea. Geforce experience has a way of butchering frame rates. If you have a decent system, it will try upscale to 2k/4k res and this kills FPS.

I would uninstall Experience and only set GPU setting manually, either in game or through the global settings.
No it's not a bad idea. It is the only game he is having problem with. So letting Geforce Experience try to settle things down is a logical step to take. If it doesn't help then it doesn't help. Move on to the next thing to try... I have read up on this game and to make a long story short the game does not taxhigher end cpu's and gpu's. So the utilization is correct you just have to find that setting that keeps the fps steady. Have you tried locking the framerate to your monitors refresh rate? I.E. 60HZ REFRESH RATE LOCKED AT 60FPS?

No it's not a bad idea. It is the only game he is having problem with. So letting Geforce Experience try to settle things down is a logical step to take. If it doesn't help then it doesn't help. Move on to the next thing to try... I have read up on this game and to make a long story short the game does not taxhigher end cpu's and gpu's. So the utilization is correct you just have to find that setting that keeps the fps steady. Have you tried locking the framerate to your monitors refresh rate? I.E. 60HZ REFRESH RATE LOCKED AT 60FPS?

Yes. I tried doing that and at first it strangely set my resolution to 4k even though I have a 1080p monitor. Even stranger at 4k the gpu was at 98% usage. When I switched back to 1080p (both in game and in Geforce Experience) the low usage returned

This is exactly why it's bad idea. Did you not read my post. Geforce Experience, for the most part looks to set the best visuals. Like I said, sometimes it up-scales. This kills FPS.

Geforce Experience will not 'settle things' down. It's not some kind of on the fly, adaptive software/tech that adjusts. It just optimises with a click. When it does, it can often slow FPS. This is a known issue. Google it.

The point being, it's always best to set GPU settings from the Nvidia/AMD control panel, and/or through the in game settings. That way, you control exactly what's going on, rather than some 1-click optimisation software, that's renowned for being a turkey!