[SOLVED] Abnormally High Temps on R7 5800x

manlol

Reputable
Apr 27, 2019
Hello, I just recently upgraded to a Ryzen 7 5800x from a Ryzen 1600 and I've been noticing really high temps, I'll be at 40 c while idle and then while gaming my temps shoot up to 70 - 75 c, the main issue is when I go to stress test it via Cinebench and MSI Afterburner my temps immediately shoot up to 90 c and can almost be enough to make the CPU shut off. I have made sure the cooler is seated properly 2 times now and I've also reapplied thermal paste for good measure and almost no change has happened. Is this just supposed to be normal or is my CPU cooler just bad quality or something?

CPU - Ryzen 7 5800x
CPU Cooler - Noctua U12S
Thermal paste - Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
PC Case - Coolermaster Q300L (Bad case I know, but I have 3 exhaust and 3 intake fans which make it much better)
GPU - NVIDIA GTX 1660Ti
RAM -G.Skill DDR4 3200Mhz
Motherboard - ASRock B450M Pro4
PSU - Corsair RM850x

Solution
The 5800X is a hot cpu but your cooler should handle it,(according to other posts ive read.) How are your case fans arranged? When you say you have 3 intake and 3 exhaust, where are they situated? Have you tried using PBO2, many people find it useful to keep their CPU's running cooler.
The 5800X is a hot cpu but your cooler should handle it,(according to other posts ive read.) How are your case fans arranged? When you say you have 3 intake and 3 exhaust, where are they situated? Have you tried using PBO2, many people find it useful to keep their CPU's running cooler.

Reactions: manlol
Solution
Hello, I just recently upgraded to a Ryzen 7 5800x from a Ryzen 1600 and I've been noticing really high temps, I'll be at 40 c while idle and then while gaming my temps shoot up to 70 - 75 c, the main issue is when I go to stress test it via Cinebench and MSI Afterburner my temps immediately shoot up to 90 c and can almost be enough to make the CPU shut off. I have made sure the cooler is seated properly 2 times now and I've also reapplied thermal paste for good measure and almost no change has happened. Is this just supposed to be normal or is my CPU cooler just bad quality or something?

CPU - Ryzen 7 5800x
CPU Cooler - Noctua U12S
Thermal paste - Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
PC Case - Coolermaster Q300L (Bad case I know, but I have 3 exhaust and 3 intake fans which make it much better)
GPU - NVIDIA GTX 1660Ti
RAM -G.Skill DDR4 3200Mhz
Motherboard - ASRock B450M Pro4
PSU - Corsair RM850x
That's just about right for 5800x and 120mm air cooler no matter how good it is. Unlike previous Ryzen, 5000 series is allowd up to 90c before loosing boost performance.

Reactions: manlol and kurdtnz

manlol

Reputable
Apr 27, 2019
I did some testing with PBO2 and undervolting and I've completely fixed my issues, temps have dropped over 20 c in some instances and max load temp is 74 c without any noticeable performance drops. Thanks for the help!