Question About a CPU fan thing.

devillord

Honorable
Feb 17, 2016
Hi, so I have a Arctic Cooling F12 PWM PST 600-1350rpm fan on my cpu and it's running great low noice and temps and stuff but it's been close to 2 years and decided to replace it, I had bought 2 of them back then and the other is brand new but when I replaced it the new one it's running constantly at +1000rpm even when idle and at 1300 when run like a game or internet browser and they are exactly the same model and stuff. Checked the new one with SpeedFan in shows between 1000 and 1270 or something rpm's, and it's noisy, it doesn't go down to 600-750rpm like the first one. When I checked the first one with SpeedFan it showed some crazy number and with Open Hardware Monitor it just shows 600 min/max:

View: https://i.imgur.com/kUIQKZ2.png

View: https://i.imgur.com/dLfde0S.png

My MB is Gigabyte 970a-ud3p
OHM's reading of the old one's rpm's stay like 600rpm min/max but I can clearly hear it speeding up and then down when I do something cpu intense, also I play like a ton of cpu heavy games and never got a single overheat.
The CPU is AMD FX8370
So should I just buy another one or is this, like something bad connected to the MB pwm controller?

Lutfij

Titan
Which header(s) is(are) the second fan occupying? The motherboard you own has 4 fan headers of which only 2 seem to be PWM.

^ PCB rev 2.0 shown for reference

The CPU_FAN will be PWM. So my assumption is that the additional fan is connected to a 3 pin. Outside of that, might want to compare the PCB revision and cross check with Gigabyte's support site for any possible BIOS updates. If you have a number of updates to go through, you should gradually work your way to the latest version.

devillord

Honorable
Feb 17, 2016
I know that cpu_fan is pwm, and my problem is not with 3 pin sys_fan. My problem is that the old cpu fan seems to work at 400-600rpm even under load, and the absolutely same newer fan seems to work constantly at 1000 and under load to 1200rpm and it's noisy, plugged in the same place the cpu fan header. Never had this problem before.