Question About disabling HPET ?

rekotomo

Reputable
May 2, 2016
Hi...
I've just change my computer rig to a new one.

Old rig :
Intel i5 4th generation
(sorry I dont' remember, but I think it's E4332 something).
B85M Gigabyte mobo
8 gb DDR3 RAM
On board / intergrated GPU
Windows 7 64 bit
One HDD
Adobe Premiere v7.2 app

New rig :
AMD Ryzen 5 2400G
A320M Gigabyte mobo
8 gb DDR4 RAM
On board / intergrated GPU
Windows 10 64bit
One SSD (OS and app) and one HDD
Adobe Premiere v12.1 app

Using the old rig, within a simple editing (just MTS file from my handycam, no effect, cut and join only) - I never have a problem on Adobe Premiere's timeline even in a full resolution playback. But now with the new rig, I frequently facing laggy playback (drop frames) even in 1/4 resolution.

So I look in the internet, and I found a suggestion which is to disable "HPET" in Windows 10 to get better performance.

Since I'm totally blind about computer, my question is :

1. What should I type in cmd ? because one site say "bcdedit /set useplatformclock false" but the other site say "bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock"

2. From the internet, I read that to know the current "condition" of the userplatformclock (enable or disable) is just to type bcdedit in cmd, then there
it will tell the current condition of the userplatformclock.
Here is the snapshot after I typed "bcdedit" in the cmd (run as administrator) :
bcdedit.gif

But even after I saw the result, I still don't know what is the current condition of that userplatformclock in my computer. Would someone please tell me, based on the snapshot above ?

3. Again from the internet, (if I'm not mistakenly understand), it seems that
the HPET must on/enable in the BIOS ? So it's just the Windows (from cmd) HPET disable ? If yes, how do I find it in the BIOS whether the HPET is on or off ?

4. Will it be OK to disable Windows HPET ?

Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advanced.

rekotomo

Reputable
May 2, 2016
Hi Birne,

Sorry for my late reply.

I haven't tried to install Adobe version 7 on the new system because I am afraid it will mess the version 12 installation which maybe can cause version 12 cannot run. And yes, I realize that the system requirement version 7 is lower than version 12. Thanks for the link.

The article I found from the internet (Adobe forum) about disabling HPET on Windows 10 is a suggestion to a user who experience slow playback and export on his Ryzen 7 - 1700.

That's why I want to try to disable it, but since I'm blind about computer stuff, I prefer to ask first on how to do that properly in case if it's not done properly it would ruin the system.

Thank you for your reply, Birne.