Question About RAM/CPU Voltage

Phyt0x

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
So lately I've been cleaning my room because of me moving out and I've found out my old PC RAM still on the box from whenever I've upgraded it back 5yrs ago.

Today I've a completely new PC, have been wondering if the old RAM can be put to a good use in the new PC instead of trowing to trash, its not a lot of RAM but 2x2GB more could be used well.

I've done a little bit of research and haven't found nothing but the only thing I've seen so far, is the site "PCPARTPICKER" telling me that these RAM voltage of 1.5 V exceeds the Intel Skylake CPU recommended maximum of 1.35 V+5% (1.417 V). This memory module may run at a reduced clock rate to meet the 1.35 V voltage recommendation, or may require running at a voltage greater than the Intel recommended maximum.

I'm kind of afraid to try this by myself and burning or destroying my CPU. So I would like a little bit more of insight about these stuff? What should I do, add to my pc or throw it to the trash?

My PC: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/62zWPn

RAM: https://www.gskill.com/product/165/...BNTValueDDR3-1333MHz-CL9-9-9-1.50V2GB-(1x2GB)

TLDR: Should I add a RAM I've found in the closet or it may cause problem to my CPU's PC?

Thank you very much for any generous help.

Your parts picker list (current PC?)shows DDR3, which is likely not correct; I believe all Z170 boards were DDR4, were they not? (I would not bother with any 2 GB sticks, if they exist, if they then require massively overvolting your remaining RAM to get to function...if the 2 GB sticks are even DDR4, which I doubt...) All the above assumes that the mainboard you listed was correct....; is it possible you have an H170-variant that supported DDR3 ? A few of those existed, for sure...

Last edited:

Phyt0x

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
Your parts picker list (current PC?)shows DDR3, which is likely not correct; I believe all Z170 boards were DDR4, were they not? (I would not bother with any 2 GB sticks, if they exist, if they then require massively overvolting your remaining RAM to get to function...if the 2 GB sticks are even DDR4, which I doubt...) All the above assumes that the mainboard you listed was correct....; is it possible you have an H170-variant that supported DDR3 ? A few of those existed, for sure...
No in my current PC is a Z170P D3 that is a DDR3 Board, yes the 2x4GB RAM Sticks are also DDR3, but the current question is about the volting issue, if its worth doing it bcuz from my current 16gb to 20gb could be a really nice upgrade from just 2 sticks laying in the back of the room. :p