[SOLVED] About RAM Speed and Upgrades

Feb 21, 2019
Hey guys, so currently I have on my PC 16GB (2x 8) of 3200MHz, CL18 HyperX RAM, and I want to upgrade it, but since I want to Jump to 32 gigs, and the only pack available is HyperX 32GB (2x16) 2666Mhz CL16, I want to know if I'll have any losses because of the lower speed and latency?

Solution
I Have a ROG Maximus Code with a 8700k, and a 1080ti

And I'm jumping straight to 32 because it' s more cost effective here where I live
Well on Intel Systems the RAM speed makes little difference in most tests, so you should be fine. Regardless it probably won't be a noticeable difference. But ultimately if you already have 16GB and your applications aren't using more than that (I.e. in gaming especially) then you'll just be adding more idle RAM.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
The lower latency is actually a benefit. The lower speed may have some implications depending on the rest of your system. Obviously if your system needs more RAM, then you will still see benefits in those particular applications, if you don't need more RAM, all you'll be doing is installing slower speed memory.

What CPU / Motherboard? and why upgrading to 32GB?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I Have a ROG Maximus Code with a 8700k, and a 1080ti

And I'm jumping straight to 32 because it' s more cost effective here where I live
Well on Intel Systems the RAM speed makes little difference in most tests, so you should be fine. Regardless it probably won't be a noticeable difference. But ultimately if you already have 16GB and your applications aren't using more than that (I.e. in gaming especially) then you'll just be adding more idle RAM.

Solution
Feb 21, 2019
Yeah, I'm upgrading because what's currently holding me back is my RAM, specially since I like to run other programs while I play, (like chrome). But hey, thank you so much, you're a lifesaver (the promotion ends in a few minutes :))

TRENDING THREADS