Question About that ASUS debacle

Barak9006

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2013
I understand it get the CPU fried with high voltages. But all I see is the Rog and Hero x670E mobos doing the dmg on Ryzen 7000 series, specifically, the x3d ones.

I have 7700x and ASUS tuf gaming X670E.

I am one of the fools who didnt read the warranty thing and did a BIOS update. I want to understand the problem and if its something I can notice before dmg is done?
What I need to see on the system monitoring apps or in the computer in general that tells me something is wrong?

I understand it get the CPU fried with high voltages. But all I see is the Rog and Hero x670E mobos doing the dmg on Ryzen 7000 series, specifically, the x3d ones.

I have 7700x and ASUS tuf gaming X670E.

I am one of the fools who didnt read the warranty thing and did a BIOS update. I want to understand the problem and if its something I can notice before dmg is done?
What I need to see on the system monitoring apps or in the computer in general that tells me something is wrong?
Simple explanation is that Asus neglected to limit maximum voltage for 7000X3D models at manual and auto settings like they did with 5000X3D, X3D are more limited in voltage just because that extra cache.
There are no reports of non-X3D processors burning from same cause. Asus has fixed the issue with now BIOS.
Use Ryzen Master and HWinfo to follow Voltage and temperatures.

Simple explanation is that Asus neglected to limit maximum voltage for 7000X3D models at manual and auto settings like they did with 5000X3D,
The only thing that asus causes is that the mobo pops on top of the CPU popping, which is a big deal especially the way they are handling it, but CPUs not being able to handle 1.3V is a joke.
There are no reports of non-X3D processors burning from same cause. Asus has fixed the issue with now BIOS.
That's not true, while everything is to be considered anecdotal at this point and we have no idea if it's all connected or not, der8auer released two videos about a non x3d CPU dying, and reddit has a few post on this as well.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34VbutE-Qss

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arDqhxM8Wog

But all I see is
Because having a cpu AND a cpu socket with huge burn spots on them in the thumbnail generates much more clicks than a cpu just quietly turning off.

Barak9006

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2013
The only thing that asus causes is that the mobo pops on top of the CPU popping, which is a big deal especially the way they are handling it, but CPUs not being able to handle 1.3V is a joke.

That's not true, while everything is to be considered anecdotal at this point and we have no idea if it's all connected or not, der8auer released two videos about a non x3d CPU dying, and reddit has a few post on this as well.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34VbutE-Qss

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arDqhxM8Wog

Because having a cpu AND a cpu socket with huge burn spots on them in the thumbnail generates much more clicks than a cpu just quietly turning off.
So in order to really monitor this situation, I should look for SoC voltages, core voltages and temperatures? or I got no way of dealing with it since software is slow to detect? I currently turned EXPO off ofc and my CPU is getting between 76-82 celsius in games, but what got me worried is that it sometimes spike hard to like 92 celsius for a millisecond then go back down to the usual 76-82 celsius.

So in order to really monitor this situation, I should look for SoC voltages, core voltages and temperatures? or I got no way of dealing with it since software is slow to detect? I currently turned EXPO off ofc and my CPU is getting between 76-82 celsius in games, but what got me worried is that it sometimes spike hard to like 92 celsius for a millisecond then go back down to the usual 76-82 celsius.
Up to 95 degrees should be absolutely safe.
Just make sure your bios sets the voltages to a safe value, below 1.3V.

D

Deleted member 2838871

It sure does. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Mine had no visual damage however.

Just a PSA for anyone reading this... although ASUS boards were the vast majority of cases I've also seen reports of Gigabyte boards involved and my 7950x3D was running on an MSI board when it blew up on 4/22.

I updated to a new BIOS on 4/28 locking SOC at 1.3v (the BIOS I had been running was removed from the page by MSI) and the PC has fine since.