About this Hydraulic bearing fan

Jun 22, 2018
So just got this cpu cooler http://www.idcooling.com/Product/detail/id/10/name/SE-214X, i know its not brand name or anything but it works really well for its price, the problem is the fan's hydraulic bearing. Ive looked up about this and the answers range from "improved sleeve" to "another kind of fluid" bearing type. I'm mounting in horizontal position (fan facing the GPU) and i'm not sure if it would cause wearing if it's actually the sleeve type bearing, any info about this type of bearing would be appreciated.

Solution

As far as I understood hydraulic bearing (real ones..there are many fake ones) are supposed to be very good.
There are quiet and have the longevity of bearing fans.
If you want fans to last, just place a drop of high-grade synthetic oil on them.
Just peel the sticker on the back and place a drop every 6 moths or so.

Jun 22, 2018

Honestly I'm not sure if the motor oil i got access to where i live would work with pc fans so applying new oil is my last resort. Would rather go for preventive measure with proper mounting orientation in case it's actually the sleeve bearing kind and thus incompatible with my current horizontal mount.

First, I din't say "motor oil"..even though it might work. A motor oil could be synthetic but not all synthetic oils are motor oils. synthetic oil available @ Amazon

Placing a drop of high-grade synthetic oil on a fan is a very good preventive measure (The lubricant in a fan evaporates with time). I have been doing that for 23 years and I haven't have a fan failed.
Ball bearing fans are very good in any position and when lubricant is added it makes then even better.
A hydraulic bearing fan, like the one in your unit (if it is genuine), is a ball bearing fan with added lubricant...
Sleeve bearing is another type of fan and should be mounted horizontally.

Solution