Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
Graphics
ASUS VH196 (1440x900@60Hz)
Acer AL1916W (1440x900@60Hz)
3072MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 280x
Storage
223GB OCZ-VERTEX460 (SSD)
1TB HDD
XFX 650W XXX Edition Single Rail Modular ATX Power Supply ATX12V 52A 24PIN 80PLUS Bronze

Everything is a wee bit dated at this point, but I don't have the money to do an overhaul. At this point I think I could use a monitor upgrade. Just one is fine for gaming. With everything I have now, what would you all suggest? I think $250 at the MOST for a monitor. What will make the fullest use of my system without being wasted because I don't have the latest and greatest?

Solution

Canadian dollars, eh? Well that's still within your budget( Capt. Obvious at your service:D ).

Yes, it's overkill for your system. However I don't see it as being wasteful. If you never plan on upgrading anything EVER again then a standard monitor like https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01N78GMQ9 would suffice...

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-GN246HL-Bbid-24-Inch-Display/dp/B00KO4518I/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1483154754
With a 1ms response time and 24 inches of real estate delivering a 1080p picture will allow whatever is on your monitor to look good. With a 144Hz refresh rate this monitor will be ready for higher end GFX cards if you do game and eventually upgrade.

How far away from the monitor will you be? Some are within a couple feet while others like myself are 6-8 feet away.

What will you be using this monitor for?

OutsideYourWorld

Honorable
Dec 9, 2014
Ah yes, I forgot. I was talking Canadian dollars (damnit all). So around 190usd. I saw someone else recommend that one, aquielisunari. It does look nice. With my current system would a monitor like that be a waste? OR will I still get its full effect? I likely wont be upgrading my card for another year or more!

It's going to be for gaming and movie watching. Total war games, Squad, miscreated, war thunder, etc.

I'm about 4 feet from my monitors.

Canadian dollars, eh? Well that's still within your budget( Capt. Obvious at your service:D ).

Yes, it's overkill for your system. However I don't see it as being wasteful. If you never plan on upgrading anything EVER again then a standard monitor like https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01N78GMQ9 would suffice and still allow for good gaming. If however you do eventually upgrade (in a year or so) and experience 120Hz or better gaming I think you will appreciate the investment. I understand spending money is a waste. One should usually invest it and that monitor is a long term investment without an immediate return apart from more real estate and higher resolution. The return on the extra expense would come later if you upgrade(Capt...).

Solution

OutsideYourWorld

Honorable
Dec 9, 2014
Makes sense. That's kind of how I was viewing these more expensive monitors. I found with coupon codes and all that I can get the Acer GN246HL for $167USD with free shipping, looks like. Seems like a good deal, eh?

OutsideYourWorld

Honorable
Dec 9, 2014

I'd go for the ViewSonic. Built in speakers, audio in and out and display port. More feature rich It also see,s to be geared towards your setup. Freesync is good for AMD cards. Should you choose to go to the Green Side that freesync will be useless.

OutsideYourWorld

Honorable
Dec 9, 2014
It's really a hard decision. The viewsonic and Acer are literally $10 apart, the viewsonic being the slightly cheaper one.

I see mixed things about both, really. So for a $10 difference is the Viewsonic still the better choice, ya think? The major plus is that freesync, I suppose, but it's only 60hz. Speakers I don't care about, either.

That's not something I have an answer for.