Question about to ditch Norton Security suite for windows 11...am i making an error?

bernard18

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
I am really tired of constant prompts for upgrades and add-ons...plus the yearly fee has grown to $150.00. I s windows 11 security enough for home use? Is there a basic internet and virus protection that I should use instead. Thanks in advance.

One thing I'm curious about is while outright blocking them is nice, is the malware still even effective?

For instance, it appeared that no UAC prompt was triggered during that test. If that was the case, then the malware wasn't running with administrative privileges. So even if there was say an info stealer type malware, it probably can't do anything with basic privileges because it won't be able to sniff the memory locations of another process.

The error messages that were popping up were likely an indication that it ran into a brick wall because of this. This used to be a "problem" with Vista when legitimate apps crashed unexpectedly because they expected to be run with admin privileges by default.

bernard18

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
Thanks to all who responded. Just a note, after removing Norton 360 and activating windows defender I did a scan...defender found a high risk threat and quarantined it on first run. Date of file was six months old...I guess Norton is all its supposed to be.!