Question About to throw 1080 TI out the window

BossRoss

Reputable
Mar 28, 2017
Driving me insane. I had a PNY GTX 1070, upgraded to a Zotac 1080 TI AMP edition(not extreme). My 1070 performed just fine, but under a few VR titles, it couldn't run all the way epic anymore. So I upgraded, or so I thought. Installed my 1080ti, and have immediately had problems. It is dropping frames all over the place like crazy. VR is literally impossible anymore, as well as just flat gaming. Doom Eternal hardly even runs. Figured it was a driver issue, so I followed the steps for the clean install. Safe mode, DDU, etc. My pc seems to work fine when not gaming, resolution looks good. But as soon as I start VR or Doom the GPU usage skyrockets to 100% and the whole computer starts to chop all over the place. I've also made sure that all the power connections and pci connection is firm. Please help.

PS, I have had small moments where I've gotten it to work properly. Last night I was playing VR without issue, and DOOM has worked sometimes. I reset my computer earlier today, and it all went back to <Mod Edit>.

Specs:
asus z170-a motherboard
Zotac 1080 ti
850 watt power supply
16GB ram
i7-6700K 4.0 GHz CPU

Last edited by a moderator:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Well, if the old 1070 still runs like a charm, then the next logical conclusion would be that the problem lies with the card itself - or quite possibly the power supply - I too would have a hard time believing that one, but weird stuff happens.

Where did you get that 1080Ti from?

BossRoss

Reputable
Mar 28, 2017
So I just reset my PC again, booted up DOOM right away, and it was horribly choppy for about 5 minutes. Then i had alt-tabbed to check something, and when I came back, it smoothed out and was working perfectly fine. Tested this multiple times. When it was choppy MSI said it was running literal 100% GPU usage, and when it smoothed out it was roughly in the 30's. So I closed it, usage went down to 0%. Then I booted up VR hoping that it was smooth for whatever reason. It was not. GPU usage 100% instantly.

BossRoss

Reputable
Mar 28, 2017
Well, if the old 1070 still runs like a charm, then the next logical conclusion would be that the problem lies with the card itself - or quite possibly the power supply - I too would have a hard time believing that one, but weird stuff happens.

Where did you get that 1080Ti from?
Ebay.... never had an issue before. Is there any way to tell for sure that it's the card itself? Some software I could run or?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ebay.... never had an issue before. Is there any way to tell for sure that it's the card itself? Some software I could run or?
Beyond some benchmarks and stress tests? Another 1080Ti.
Although the 1070 is on the same architecture as the 1080Ti, it's specs are not the same.

Download and run Gpu-Z, and leave it open on the Sensors tab.
Run:
Unigine Superposition
Unigine Heaven
Asus Realbench V2.56 - Stress Test, 30 mins, half of the total ram.

Monitor temperature, gpu + memory clock, and PerfCap Reason.

BossRoss GPU usage is supposed to be 99 or 100%; that is the ideal scenario. However, the same cannot be said for the CPU. It sounds like your CPU usage might be hitting 50 - 100% You have a 4 core / 8 thread CPU, and once it's beyond 50% utilization, you're gone beyond the four cores and are now into the hyperthreading. By any chance, are you over 80% utilization when the choppiness happens?

Addendum: My theory: The GTX 1080 Ti generates more FPS than the 1070. The higher the FPS, the higher the CPU utilization. And I suspect that the usage is high enough to create a bottleneck in the CPU.

Last edited:

BossRoss

Reputable
Mar 28, 2017
BossRoss GPU usage is supposed to be 99 or 100%; that is the ideal scenario. However, the same cannot be said for the CPU. It sounds like your CPU usage might be hitting 50 - 100% You have a 4 core / 8 thread CPU, and once it's beyond 50% utilization, you're gone beyond the four cores and are now into the hyperthreading. By any chance, are you over 80% utilization when the choppiness happens?

Addendum: My theory: The GTX 1080 Ti generates more FPS than the 1070. The higher the FPS, the higher the CPU utilization. And I suspect that the usage is high enough to create a bottleneck in the CPU.

No, that shouldn't be an issue. cpu usage is about 20%. When I'm using my 1070, gpu usage is never 100%. Unless I'm trying to run something that it just barely can't handle. Played VR on it last night for several hours, and it never went above 85%.

GPU at 100% using VR
GPU with DOOM working in the beginning at about 35% usage, then VR at 100% usage

BossRoss

Reputable
Mar 28, 2017
BossRoss Did anyone ever help you figure this out?

No, I had actually given up and just put my 1070 back in. But for some reason today I decided to give it another shot, praying that updating my bios would fix it. It didn't. I'm also using a genome II water cooling case, and it had an option for flipping your graphics card up on it's side using like a pci extender or something, but I got rid of that and it STILL doesn't work.

Sooooo I'm back to thinking it's either the card itself, or maybe the power cables.

I've tested each power cable separately with my 1070, so I know they both work, but maybe they're not plugged into my PSU correctly? I'm not sure. I have a modular evga 850w psu, and I'm using a 8 pin cable, and a 6+2 that also has a 6 pin attatched to it, to plug in the 1080ti. And I have them plugged into the PSU in the vga1&2 slots.

Really at a loss at this point, I've read out there some people think 1920x1080 monitors are a problem, but I would think I wouldn't be having issues in my VR headset if that was the case.

I did try and reduce my settings to "low" in doom eternal, and reduce the resolution all the way down, and that made the game run much more smoothly, but that's not something I should be dealing with....