Question About XMP

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Technically yes, as you are modifying the RAM speed outside of standard spec. Every CPU and MB uses slightly RAM differently.

It shouldn't really be a problem, as the rated speeds are what it has been tested at, but every system is different, and sometimes people do not achieve the RAM speeds they seek depending on the rest of their system.

Reactions: punkncat

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Technically yes, as you are modifying the RAM speed outside of standard spec. Every CPU and MB uses slightly RAM differently.

It shouldn't really be a problem, as the rated speeds are what it has been tested at, but every system is different, and sometimes people do not achieve the RAM speeds they seek depending on the rest of their system.

Yes, in this case it's rather odd. I have an office machine a built a few months ago, meager spec i5 8400 on 2400mhz RAM, cheapo motherboard that had the video outputs I needed (had to have VGA not to swap monitors). The system runs fine, in general, but kept having these strange errors where the printer spool would quit working, and be unable to actually type text into an email reply. The machine stays on nearly 24/7, so knowing an ECC solution would have been preferable...anyway, I took the XMP profile out and it seems to have restored stability in regards to having run the past 5 days without need of a restart or presence of an error.

Reactions: PC Tailor