Question Absolute nightmare happening

Mar 14, 2021
I recently had a Windows 8.1 PC brick itself trying to do 'Refresh without affecting your files'.

I had to buy a new SSD and Windows 10.

I was able to get most of my stuff off the old drive, but having trouble getting old Chrome bookmarks. I didn't export them as a file or back them up or anything but it may be possible. I'd also like my Google Earth saved spots which I did make a file of but couldn't see.

I read having Chrome already installed on my new Windows 10 drive could conflict with finding the bookmarks file in the old 8.1 drive. I uninstalled chrome and am using Edge now.
I might have deleted a Chrome icon in the old drive, I'm not sure, I didn't mess with too much in the old drive but I did delete some stuff to create less confusion I deleted empty folders like stuff from a music production program (fruity loops) I only had installed on the old 8.1 PC, some other things like that.

I am the only one who uses this computer, has password and built it from parts, and installed OEM on the old 8.1 drive, and full Home version on my new 10 PC, yet it sometimes asks for or states don't have administrator etc permission and to press Continue and sometimes it works and sometimes maybe not.

Come to find that maybe the 8.1 old drive didn't have show hidden files enabled, but I know I always had it set to. I got to this because the chrome bookmarks might be a hidden file.
So I went to the Users folder in C: on the old drive and applied show hidden folders files, but it messed something up, I'm not sure the exact chain of events but I didn't do anything out of the ordinary. Now on my current Windows 10 drive also having a problem and I can't even see my Users folder in C: and I had a folder on the desktop with a bunch of stuff that is now now shown.

I read I was supposed to allow Full control, I attached some images and am ready to shoot. I don't think I even have access to control panel now.

I got this One Drive QT platform error screenshot shown when restarting also, I don't want one drive and haven't set it up, but just noting that it's doing that too.

Trying to make a mail.com email to join this forum I got "The requested URL was rejected. Please consult with your administrator." an 404-type error page from windows, not mail.com

I cleaned all cache and cookies, site permissions etc. it's caused by some permission thing that happened apparently.
I made a protonmail account instead to post this.

I don't want to mess this up worse and have to reformat again. I have my important stuff backed up on a secure external but still.

If I can't get my old Chrome bookmarks it's not that big a deal, I'll probably have more questions on that though if we can get this solved first. Thank you,

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2021
im trying to post screenshots but it's causing a problem too😡

I upload to imgur, copy their embed link, try to click insert image in the top bar of posting this but it's not showing, shows it as this

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/vqfkXWM" ><a href="//imgur.com/a/vqfkXWM">1</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

and now when click Insert Image above writing this here, the box disappears when I click to paste in it.

But I got it to accept a paste by clicking the insert image ona new reply to this thread (not Editing my posts like has been failing) but when I try submit the link it said "something went wrong please try again or contact administrator"

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2021
authenticated users
system
administrators
users

when I right click C drive icon>Properties>Security,
it shows all 4 above checked Allow for all Permissions. I may have done something here.

Now if I click Edit, there's a last box Special Permissions that none are checked and I am not allowed to add a check.

Mar 14, 2021
ok, I opened File explorer (where it'll show C drive and a blue bar how much space is taken, Downlaods, Desktop, Documents, Photos folders), then click File up top, options, show hidden files fixed it but now the folder on desktop which I mentioned earlier was gone is back, good, but everything is a lighter shade of color as if I expected to get an error clicking the on them but things are opening correctly. But I need to fix this for real. thanks

I now have Control Panel show when I type it into the Search bar on bottom right of windows explorer, but when click to open nothing happens, but shows option in same search result to Uninstall Programs, and click that says: "the item you selected is unavailable. it may have been moved, renamed or removed. Do you want to remove it from the list?"

it seems I'm being seen as some other user with less access or something got screwed up worse? do a full wipe + reformat?

D

Deleted member 14196

One time I did something to the machine that took away all my permissions as well and the only way I could fix it was reinstalling windows and that’s why I answered that way. There are still some things I don’t understand why that happened or what exactly that I did but when it’s a needle in the haystack that’s what I turn to