Absolutely baffled about outages, think its interference?

Halden_1

Commendable
Feb 21, 2016
I have these persistant outages of the internet that often strike at night and often get diagnosed by the windows diagnoser thing as unresolved dns error, and Iv'e done signifcant debugging and changed public dns, honestly everything you can think of.

I've been trying to pay attention to see if anything triggers these outages. I've tried to pinpoint the blame to the extent that I can and some things that are high traffic seem to trigger it sometimes, namely twitter, or facebook, or netflix, or tradingview.

But I suspect, that maybe it's an interference with a tablet or the direct tv box in the house, and perhaps some sort of bad configuration on one of the modems or something. It is a new problem, and I have tried multiple routers, and I have asked the isp to check the tower.

But it behaves in such a way that I tend to think it's a configuration glitch or interference, something on my end that is just overwhelming the modem.

When I looked at my active connections in the diagnosis section of advanced settings on my router, I saw that I was downloading nearly 7 mbps from the distant amazon server that it is usually connected to, that is that there are a list of active remote connections that my modem is generally connected to and several are addresses on amazon.aws. or such, that is what the ISP is using presumably.

But my connection speed is only supposed to be 3mbps. I've tried to pay attention to the active connections in some desperate hope of identifying a network change with these constant outages, and one of the strange things that happens is:

It loses connection to all those host addresses, it loses the kbps in terms of speed, and I see a mile long list of these ip6 addresses with like 1 packet, in anycase all the connections change,. and I just thought that these ip6 addresses are very peculiar.

kXnSDc

I'm at my wits end after a month, I just don't have much of a hunch to go on, but I swear I have this gut feeling that something on my end is glitching out, it could very well be the isp's side, but if it is it's like it's getting triggered by something on my end in a very consistent way.

robax91

Distinguished
Could be the output on the cable to the modem being too high. My ISP had to install a dampener on mine because the signal was too strong and would cause it to lose connection. Another thing to try is to completely unplug the modem from everything for like 4+ hours. This lets the modem do a hard reset and your IP would likely get cycled by your ISP. Also, if you try that, get a can of air and blow out the dust in the modem and make sure it isn't by a source of heat and has plenty of room away from other objects, overheating is a common modem problem.

As for the configuration of the DNS, try resetting the router options to default, then changing specific things one at a time. QoS setting can both cause or fix that problem. For Windows, maybe try looking up your LAN driver and reinstalling it, long shot but could help (has worked for me in the past). Changing to a public DNS could also fix it (try this last, keeping the default is usually better and should really only be used to get around restrictions) Google's are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

Good luck.

So are you saying every device is getting affected or just the PC?
If you log into the modem, you will see what your connection speed is.
If it is just a PC that is having problems, you should be checking for malware.
ZHPCleaner is the best out there and its free.

Halden_1

Commendable
Feb 21, 2016
some more details:
Already updated every driver to every lan and wireless card
already tried renewing the ip lease
as much as im aware it goes out on every device in the house
I have wireless dsl, the modem is outside on the side of the house and runs inside to a router
I have a static IP address and I guess some sort of local DHCP address kinda confused about that part
One of the device is a amazon kindle fire phone tablet thing
I haven't set any specific or custom QoS options
I can't access or login into the actual isp modem, unfortunately,.

Something about the inactivity, i.e. getting knocked offline at night and letting everything just sit until the morning always brings it back online. 80% of the time it goes out late at night. Almost always comes back on in the morning or 6 hours later, so some sort of glitch is happening, regarding leaving it unconnected for 4 hours etc.

Sorry, that problem is above my pay-grade.
I don't know what to say, apart from, if you have a friend with same router, maybe you can swap it for a couple of days. Or buy a decent router. I looked up GL-inet and their website doesn't inspire confidence to me.
The gear could be perfectly fine, I don't know.

Halden_1

Commendable
Feb 21, 2016
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r7373685-Connection-Flooded-by-multicast

This is an article about a guy with a charter modem who seemed to have his connection completely mess up from being flooded by multicast packets, which ultimately made him unable to use a router, only able to directly connect to the modem. (which I cannot do because of type of modem, presumably)

It sounded similar to my situation so I thought I'd share it.

When looking at my connections again I noticed many many connections to public dns addresses, many icmp connections, all sorts of different ones, but again, that may be normal traffic. However the multicast connection, the main one for multi ip broadcasting on the local subnet was very high on the traffic list it, which stood out. I tried to filter it out in QoS settings, by setting the byes to 0 on its address and port, but I still saw it sending bytes so I have no idea if that did anything or worked, I need a better understanding of my router's settings or another third party application to correctly filter it, which was what people told this guy to do in the lnked thread, in order to prevent the flooding.

The TLDR was that maybe charter's modem was having compatibility issues with his routers or his server or computer to the extent that it caused the glitch, I mean it's way over my head tho so. I'm not sure.

This came up. Not sure what the packet rate should be.

"IPV4 UNKNOWN 0.0.0.0:0 all-systems.mcast.net:0 83.09 KB (2659 Pkts."