Question Abysmal WiFi speed on PC. Samsung S8 however is very fast

callum118

Honorable
Jul 26, 2014
Having recently switched to Virgin Media's 100mbps package from Sky Broadband's sub-par 35mbps package, I was looking forward to fast internet. However it seems that my speeds are worse than before (only on my PC).

My Samsung S8 consistently gets 70 -100 mbps when using speedtest, My PC (my newest USB WiFi adapter that I bought recently gets between 10 and 30mbps at most). I conduct the tests at the same location, which is upstairs approximately 10 metres from the router (the router is downstairs).

The thing is, I have three WiFi adapters that I've tested, all of them are bad and get between 10 and 30mbps. The first two WiFi adapters are 2.4ghz and the latest one is both 2.4 and 5ghz (I figured I would buy a 5Ghz one to take advantage of the dual band router).

WiFi adapters:

1) Qualcomm Atheros AR9287 - this one has always been slow, and never used it much,

2) TP Link WN822n V3 - used to be my main WiFi adapter before purchasing my most recent one. Used to get 30mbps with previoud ISP. now anything between 10 and 30.

3) Generic brandless 600mbps adapter bought on eBay. Under device manager it says Realtek 8811CU Wireless LAN 802.11ac USB. speeds between 10 and 30mbps.

I even reset my PC to factory settings (kept files and documents). I really don't know what to do, I've made sure all the drivers are up to date and the settings are in order. Still rubbish speeds.

WiFi adapter properties:

AdaptivePara = 0 (either 0 or 1)
EnableAdaptivity = Auto (either auto, enable or disable)
HLDiffForAdaptivity = 7 (either 7 or 9)
L2HForAdaptivity = Auto (either Auto, E8, EB, ED, EF, F1, F3 or F5)
QoS Support = Support QoS (either support, not support, auto)
Roaming Aggressiveness = 6. High (either Disable, Lowest, Medium Low, Medium, Medium High or High)
VHT 2.4G = Enable (either disable, enable or not support Broadcom vendor)
Wireless mode = Auto (either IEEE 802.11a, IEEE 802.11a/n, IEEE 802.11a/n/ac, IEEE 802.11ac, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11b/g, IEEE 802.11b/g/n.

If someone could provide some assistance it'd be greatly appreciated. Been trying for days and days and it's stressing me out. I just can't understand how my phone speeds are great and my PC speeds (with all three wifi adapters being tested) are terrible.

All WiFi drivers are up to date as well as motherboard drivers. Windows is also up to date.

Thankyou! :(

Last edited:

callum118

Honorable
Jul 26, 2014
Update...

Typed 'network status' into the search bar and clicked on 'network reset' at the bottom.

Now all my adapters are running at a consistent 30-40mbps, with my least used adaptor peaking at 52 mbps (Qualcomm Atheros AR9287 ). This has definitely helped, however, it's still falling way short of my Samsung S8 speed, which peaked at 105mbps. Also, given the time of testing (1AM), it's optimal testing conditions.