Access Denied when installing drivers - HELP PLEASE

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
G

I guess it is a bit late to answer but I found the thread when searching for a solution to the same problem and thought I should add my solution.

Description:
Had an Nvidia card and then switched to an ATI card for awhile and then went back to the Nvidia card and then couldn't couldn't install drivers for it with the reason being that access is denied after the installer copied the files to the windows folder. Updated the system from SP2 to SP3 as well and the problem persisted.

Solution:
Deleted all nv*.* files in Windows/system32 folder and installed the card again. I tried driver sweeper from guru3d but i could delete the nvidia files even in safe mode, but it was a good help in finding the driver files that should be deleted.

keithmeister

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
There's a simple fix for this. When installing, select No to windows update. Then select INSTALL FROM A SPECIFIC LOCATION and then choose DON'T SEARCH. I WILL CHOOSE THE DRIVER TO INSTALL.
Go from there and select Display Driver as the type and then point it at the driver. It will then install fine

G

I had the same problem with the sound device. I solved it just restoring the system for an earlier data point (about 3 months ago).