[SOLVED] Access point for extending wifi

tkraft

Prominent
Jan 26, 2018
Plan is to extend WiFi from inside my house outside approx 600 feet (clear line of sight) to barn and livestock pens which will have multiple WiFi security cameras located there. I will run a cat 6 Ethernet cable from my Asus RT1900-AC router to an outdoor access point located on the outside my house and place 1 or more access points located on the remote end. My goal is to be able to view the WiFi security cameras located on the remote end from the computer in my house. I have been looking at the Ubiquiti product line but not sure which model would have that capability and give me the best result. I am also open to suggestions of a better plan but please keep it in simple terminology. Thanks so much!

Solution
What you are calling access points will not work the way you think. What you need is a pair of wireless bridges instead of AP on each building. They are designed exactly for this purpose. You would need a AP inside the remote building connected to the bridge on the far end to provide wifi to the end devices.

Ubiquiti sells many options. Likely a pair of the older nano stations m2 or m5 will work fine. You can get their newer AC models if you need more speed. They also sell many different AP but if you have a old router laying around you can use that as a AP also.
It will be much easier and much more stable if you get a pair if directional wireless bridge. 600ft is way over distance for an Ethernet cable, and just WiFi, without additional directional antennaes, will be flimsy.

The wireless bridge will make it look like a very long Ethernet cable.

tkraft

Prominent
Jan 26, 2018
It will be much easier and much more stable if you get a pair if directional wireless bridge. 600ft is way over distance for an Ethernet cable, and just WiFi, without additional directional antennaes, will be flimsy.

The wireless bridge will make it look like a very long Ethernet cable.

I’m sorry if my plan was not clear, or if I am not understanding you correctly. The Ethernet cable will not be 600 feet in length from the router to first access point. The 600 feet distance is between the 2 outside access points. Also...you suggested “a pair of directional wireless bridge”. Do you mean access points? Not really sure what you are referring to.

Last edited:
What you are calling access points will not work the way you think. What you need is a pair of wireless bridges instead of AP on each building. They are designed exactly for this purpose. You would need a AP inside the remote building connected to the bridge on the far end to provide wifi to the end devices.

Ubiquiti sells many options. Likely a pair of the older nano stations m2 or m5 will work fine. You can get their newer AC models if you need more speed. They also sell many different AP but if you have a old router laying around you can use that as a AP also.

Reactions: tkraft
Solution

tkraft

Prominent
Jan 26, 2018

Thank you for the clarification and product recommendation. I will probably go with a pair of m2’s. I’m sure the next hurdle will be to get the settings correct so it will be operational. 🤔 Thanks so much for your help...appreciate it!

They are trivial to setup. They have little signal level meters to help you align them. The default factory setting is ptp bridge mode which is what you are trying to setup. They do have lots of options so they can be a challenge to learn all the things you can do with these units.

tkraft

Prominent
Jan 26, 2018
They are trivial to setup. They have little signal level meters to help you align them. The default factory setting is ptp bridge mode which is what you are trying to setup. They do have lots of options so they can be a challenge to learn all the things you can do with these units.
Which would you say would be the better choice...M2 or M5? I was thinking M2 because I understand it to have a stronger signal.

At your distance I doubt you are going to have much issue with signal levels. Those unit are designed to work at distances where you can't see the other unit without binoculars. I guess I would go with the m2 units just because they will have less loss when you have fog or rain. They are both rated for for 150mbps so they are using the same 802.11n data encoding. I suspect is not going to matter much in your case.

tkraft

Prominent
Jan 26, 2018
At your distance I doubt you are going to have much issue with signal levels. Those unit are designed to work at distances where you can't see the other unit without binoculars. I guess I would go with the m2 units just because they will have less loss when you have fog or rain. They are both rated for for 150mbps so they are using the same 802.11n data encoding. I suspect is not going to matter much in your case.
Sounds good...and thanks again!