[SOLVED] Access Points in Smart Home

Aug 23, 2019
Hi,

Recently bought a Smart Home (new construction) about 2800+ sqft. We have 2 Rukus Unleashed R510 Access Points installed in the home I would like to use.

My ISP installed modem (1 port) in the tech room / hub located on the 2nd floor and I'm currently using my Google Wifi router we used in our previous house. Google Wifi only has 1 ethernet port and several devices with need to be connected (wired) - Ring doorbell, 2 access points, alarm, etc.

What would be my best setup to get the most out of my internet speed (400mps) and hopefully use my Rukus access points?

– Should I buy a new faster wireless router with more ports to connect all plus the access points. Sounds redundant to me. Especially considering there is an access point right outside the tech room.

– Leave Google Wifi and buy a switch?

– Wired router to the modem such as:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078PGCGN2/ref=psdc_300189_rv_t1_B00HXT8EUE

– Other suggestions?

We have Amazon Smart Home Activation coming on Tuesday and we are asked to have all this ready but no one seems tech-savvy enought at Amazon or from the builder (Lennar) to answer this.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Solution
I don't know the abilities of the google wifi and why it would only have 1 lan port. I always see people using them as wifi repeaters which is the worst possible form of wifi network you can choose.

It should be as simple as buying a small switch and then plugging in your rukus AP and any other device. It is the cheapest option and you likely will need a switch no matter what router you use. All depends on how many things you have to plug in.

I would try to keep any configuration on the google router to a minimum. Most routers even really fancy ones have issues running a 400mbps with certain features turned on. Things like firewalls or parental control tend to be the most common and some things like VPN will drop it under...
I don't know the abilities of the google wifi and why it would only have 1 lan port. I always see people using them as wifi repeaters which is the worst possible form of wifi network you can choose.

It should be as simple as buying a small switch and then plugging in your rukus AP and any other device. It is the cheapest option and you likely will need a switch no matter what router you use. All depends on how many things you have to plug in.

I would try to keep any configuration on the google router to a minimum. Most routers even really fancy ones have issues running a 400mbps with certain features turned on. Things like firewalls or parental control tend to be the most common and some things like VPN will drop it under 50mbps.

You can get a wired only router from companies like ubiquiti for about $50 you do not need anything really fancy if you do not need the wifi.

Solution
Aug 23, 2019

I would try to keep any configuration on the google router to a minimum. Most routers even really fancy ones have issues running a 400mbps with certain features turned on. Things like firewalls or parental control tend to be the most common and some things like VPN will drop it under 50mbps.

You can get a wired only router from companies like ubiquiti for about $50 you do not need anything really fancy if you do not need the wifi.

AP would need to be connected to PoE port. I guess limiting my options a bit more. Any recommendations?

Setup would be Modem -> Wired Router -> AP for wifi

What are your thoughts on using the Ubiquiti ERPro-5 EdgeRouter?

I don't have that router but have been tempted and many people like it on this forum. It has many very advanced features.

Be careful about PoE. There is the standard form called 802.3af/at. There are all kinds of proprietary ones and most those are not compatible between brands. Read the specs carefully. For the standard ones you can use a small switch the proprietary ones mostly use some form of power injector.