[SOLVED] accessing files on now 'external' hard drive - formerly original HD

hondochica

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2012
Greetings;

So my old hard drive was failing (hp elitebook)- or at least developed bad sectors somewhere in Win 7 such that I could only run it in Safe Mode. Finally got a new HD, installed in my laptop -, reinstalled win7 (64 bit pro) - got all updates - so far so good.

So I bought an external case for my original hard drive - hoping to be able to pull files from it (seems I forgot to copy some old stuff). the file directory looks very different. I tried to access my old files via 'users/(my old file name) but the computer says I don't have access. Clicked the button to try to get access but the hard drive just spins and spins and spins and spins and . . . I waited about 15-20 minutes but the file folder never opened. I could not 'eject' the external hard drive. task manager said the disk was 'running' - don't remember the exact process but it was COM .... (something).

I tried to boot this hard drive from the usb - but I subsequently read somewhere here that windows won't boot from a usb device. the laptop just booted from the new installed HD.

so . . . do I have to put the old HD back in the laptop and change permissions etc; or is there some way I can get to my old files as an external HD (via usb)?

thanks so much
Kelly

woutervdg629

Prominent
Mar 26, 2019
If you're an admin on your new computer you should have the ability to allow permission to the old drive. Now after you do that it may take a while to allow you to access the files since it has to go through some process similar to re-indexing the drive I think. I used the same step on a previous NVME drive of mine and even on that incredibly fast drive it took like a minute or two for full access. Idk how big your old drive was but you might just have to let it sit for a while.

Reactions: hondochica

woutervdg629

Prominent
Mar 26, 2019
If you're an admin on your new computer you should have the ability to allow permission to the old drive. Now after you do that it may take a while to allow you to access the files since it has to go through some process similar to re-indexing the drive I think. I used the same step on a previous NVME drive of mine and even on that incredibly fast drive it took like a minute or two for full access. Idk how big your old drive was but you might just have to let it sit for a while.

Reactions: hondochica

hondochica

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2012
Thanks @woutervdg629 I've been hesitant to plug the external back in but I'll give it a try and check permissions before I try to open the folder with all my data. I did wait easily 15 minutes or more the first time as it looked like the drive was 'sorting through things' (so to speak) and I was sure it was going to list files any minute . . but then . . I got nervous and shut it all down. Will let you know how the 2nd attempt goes.

Kelly

Reactions: woutervdg629

hondochica

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2012
Hey @woutervdg629 - thanks for your help. Didn't do anything different - but I now have access to my files. the permissions were already there - and I was able to open all folders and access all data. I didn't realize how much stuff I had on that drive - 28G of data! I guess I just didn't wait long enough the first time.

Enjoy your day

Kelly

Reactions: woutervdg629

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS