Question Accessing server through a router via a wifi repeater with custom subnet

Aug 28, 2024
Hi, So I just installed a wifi repeater and connected it to the router in the main building due to the fact that my office is too far from the main building to get a stable connection directly to the router.

So the problem I have is that internet connectivity is 110% but I can not access the server which is connected through wan directly to the router.

I am using a custom subnet IP range from the router and my repeater has a subnet of 16, if I try to change the IP of my repeater to static and put it in the same subnet range of 76 then it says that it can not be in the same subnet.

I know I have to be in the same subnet to be able to access the server, but how can I do this via the repeater?

kanewolf

Titan
Hi, So I just installed a wifi repeater and connected it to the router in the main building due to the fact that my office is too far from the main building to get a stable connection directly to the router.

So the problem I have is that internet connectivity is 110% but I can not access the server which is connected through wan directly to the router.

I am using a custom subnet IP range from the router and my repeater has a subnet of 16, if I try to change the IP of my repeater to static and put it in the same subnet range of 76 then it says that it can not be in the same subnet.

I know I have to be in the same subnet to be able to access the server, but how can I do this via the repeater?
If you can access it when connected to the primary router but not when connected to the extender, then you have something configured incorrectly on the extender. The primary router shouldn't know the difference if you are on an extender, it it is properly configured.

Aug 28, 2024
If you can access it when connected to the primary router but not when connected to the extender, then you have something configured incorrectly on the extender. The primary router shouldn't know the difference if you are on an extender, it it is properly configured.
I am not 100% sure then where I am going wrong because it only has a quick setup function to connect it to the router

I am not 100% sure then where I am going wrong because it only has a quick setup function to connect it to the router
Start by listing model names for your router and repeater.
Then draw a diagram, to show how you have them connected/configured
with info on all interfaces (ip/subnet mask)and all custom configuration.
(upload diagram image to imgur.com and post link)

You can omit public ip of your router. That info is not necessary.

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
Same here, what's your repeater's brand/model?

and what is this "same subnet range of 76"?

Also list your main router LAN ip address, subnet and server ip (if it's on your LAN).

No need to hide the info since no one will be able to access any PCs / devices on your LAN.

Last edited:
The main problem is any form of "repeater" is a violation of the wifi standards. Because of the lack of standards you never can be sure how this was implemented. Many/most repeaters use what is called WDS. This makes everything on the same network. Problem is many routers you must manually setup WDS.

Some other devices use what is generally referred to as universal repeater mode. There are a couple implementations of this and some make the 2 networks appear as separate.

You can to a point get past limitation with the 2 network by using the same port forwarding methods used on a internet connection.