[SOLVED] Accessing Windows 7 HDD from Linux Mint

Dec 29, 2020
I'm sure you've gotten this question a million times, so I apologize. But after searching around I couldn't find anything quite like what I'm after on Google or in the forums.

To be clear, I am not asking about dual booting, I wanted to know if I could install Linux Mint on a new SSD for a computer I am building, then add a hard drive from my old computer to the new machine, and still be able to access the files from Mint.

I understand Linux Mint and Windows 7 use different filesystems, so I would ideally partition the drive to "contain" all my Windows files within the Windows 7 file system and then use the rest of the drive for Linux files. For example, accessing a .txt file on my Windows 7 partition from Mint. Or running a windows program with compatibility software.
Is this something I can do without needing to boot Windows 7 to access my files?

Let me know if I am being unclear or not making sense.
Thanks for your time.

Solution
WINE does not run everything from Windows. Not even close.

Personally, I would have that personal data off on a whole different drive. There are multiple ways of screwing it up, in the context of trying to keep that Windows viable, and your data accessible from both.
Dec 29, 2020
Yeah, I was intending Windows 7 to still be bootable, but my goal was to be able to access most of my data without needing to boot it.
The drive itself is 1TB, but only around 350GB are in use.

USAFRet

Titan
Yeah, I was intending Windows 7 to still be bootable, but my goal was to be able to access most of my data without needing to boot it.
The drive itself is 1TB, but only around 350GB are in use.
"To be clear, I am not asking about dual booting, "

By definition, Windows and Linux in the same system IS dualbooting.

Also, booting up Win 7 in this new hardware is unlikely to actually work. Windows is not modular.
When presented with all new hardware, it is likely to fail.

Dec 29, 2020
Well, yes I understand that is dual booting, but I wasn't meaning to ask for help with dual booting. I apologize for being unclear. I just want access to files on my Windows drive. Things like txt files, pictures, games, and such. I know many things are programs designed to run on Windows, but it was my understanding that I could use compatibility software like Wine to run them. I don't want to lose all my data due to using a different kind of OS, and would like to use the rest of the HDD. If I need to transfer files over manually, then so be it. I just wanted to know if I could leave it as is.
I feared that might be the case, but was hoping I could manage a way to preserve Windows 7 regardless. A shame, but it was not my main goal.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
WINE does not run everything from Windows. Not even close.

Personally, I would have that personal data off on a whole different drive. There are multiple ways of screwing it up, in the context of trying to keep that Windows viable, and your data accessible from both.

Solution