[SOLVED] Accidentally formatted a system drive

GPUProblem

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2016
So, i was trying to install windows 10 to a windows 7 machine, Booted the installer from a disk, installer wouldn't let me install so i formatted the drive (apparently don't try to mess with pc's when you are tired). Is it still possible in anyway to try and recover the whole system partion?

Solution
if you're able to recover the partition using one of many utilities, you can do a Windows 7 Repair Install (not System Repair) - it should restore the OS without losing much except for System updates.

Windows 7 should detect the files and allow a repair. a quick google shows that the Repair install info still exists from many sources

RealBeast

Titan
So, i was trying to install windows 10 to a windows 7 machine, Booted the installer from a disk, installer wouldn't let me install so i formatted the drive (apparently don't try to mess with pc's when you are tired). Is it still possible in anyway to try and recover the whole system partion?
While there is a lot of software to recover files, it is not usually very easy to repair a format and still use that OS.

You wanted to go to W10, and that will be far easier than messing with the formatted drive. If this is an older computer with a standard bios just use Rufus to create an installer if you have the W10 image on another computer.

I assume (hope) that you backed up your data before starting on the new install.

GPUProblem

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2016
I used an external DVD drive for the install, the ISO was in a disc. The problem is that i formatted the main drive (SSD), and im now trying to see if there is anyway to try and to recover the files (or the whole drive) without an OS in the system (and then install the windows 10 later if i manage to recover the files).
I know i should have made a backup which i forgot in a hurry.

edit: added more text

Last edited:
if you're able to recover the partition using one of many utilities, you can do a Windows 7 Repair Install (not System Repair) - it should restore the OS without losing much except for System updates.

Windows 7 should detect the files and allow a repair. a quick google shows that the Repair install info still exists from many sources

Solution