[SOLVED] Accidentally installed another Windows 10

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ToastyCircle151

Reputable
Mar 1, 2015
So i bought a new SSD and I was moving my games to it, and it was pretty cool to see the load time differences an all, but i decided to try to make it my boot drive. I was watching videos on cloning your hard drive but i did not want to move all my files to the SSD i just wanted to be able to start windows through it. I tried to install windows through the SSD but i just installed it on my original hard drive again. I guess my main question is can this slow down my PC? Im now back on my windows and it seemed a bit slower getting on but i assume thats due to the clean install of windows 10. I went into msconfig and it says i only have one OS under boot. IS THERE ANYTHING THAT I DID THAT I SHOULD BE WORRIED ABOUT AND SHOULD WORK ON UNDOING

Solution
Oh wait so my data from my HDD wouldn't carry over after i plugged it back in?
"my data" is a nebulous term.
Your personal files, no problems.
Applications on that drive, no.

A clean install on the SSD is like the first day you turned the PC on and installed the OS for the first time.
It will be 'only windows'.
Drivers, utilities, all your other applications...will need a new install.

USAFRet

Titan
Perhaps I misrepresented the system clone. Here is the description by EaseUS https://www.easeus.com/support/todo-backup/enterprise/System-Clone.html
"Please make sure the capacity of the unallocated space on your target drive is larger than the total size of your boot and system partition, or you will encounter the error below: "

i.e.....not "only the OS"

Basically, the same functionality as all the other cloning tools. Macrium, AOEMI, Samsung Data Migration, etc.
The entire partition or drive.

And I've seen a couple of them with misleading wording.
"Clone your Windows to a new drive". More than one user has been caught out with that description, thinking it was "only windows".

I've not seen any function or application that can split out 'just the OS'.
And given how Windows and applications work, it cannot.