[SOLVED] Accidentally Made Entire D:\ into Documents folder

Arj72

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014
About 3 years ago I bought my PC. My C: had very little space on it so I decided to move my Documents folder to it, since I mod pretty much every game I play and that's typically the location where most game folders will be created. I did not realize at the time that I had made my documents folder into the entire drive. Now whether I click on Documents specifically, or D:\ I am taken to the same exact folder with the same exact contents. As a result under C:\Users\Owner the My Documents folder is missing. It took me until now to realize because I just bought a game (XCOM 2) that saves to that specific location and as a result can not save. I tried creating a new My Documents folder but am told it already exists in that location when it definitely does not. I know I can move the Documents folder back to my C: and it would restore it but the issue is because I hadn't realize the D:\ and Documents folder had become the same thing I have a LOT of data saved to that location, far too much to move it to the C:. But I also have no way of saving it to a different spot and then putting it back when I move Documents back because the entire drive is documents. Is there literally anything I can do in this situation without having to completely erase over 700GB's of files?

Solution
Is there literally anything I can do in this situation without having to completely erase over 700GB's of files?
get a new drive with plenty of space for your further storage needs.
create a specific folder on that drive and make that your User Documents folder with the "Move" option.
after the move format the old drive and use it as backup for your system drive and personal documents.
Is there literally anything I can do in this situation without having to completely erase over 700GB's of files?
get a new drive with plenty of space for your further storage needs.
create a specific folder on that drive and make that your User Documents folder with the "Move" option.
after the move format the old drive and use it as backup for your system drive and personal documents.

Reactions: Arj72
Solution

USAFRet

Titan
For Win 8.1 and later, relocating the Documents and other Libraries requires doing that to a specific subfolder, not the drive.
What you did was choose the drive letter.
Resulting in a complete screwup.

I am totally unsure of a "fix", other than a full restore from the backup you made before this happened.

Here is a related problem, but not exact. So do NOT, repeat DO NOT, follow those regedits.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...e/c448f784-cd1f-4060-9ff6-b63bde4d39db?auth=1

Reactions: Arj72