[SOLVED] Accidentally plugged pcie 6+2 cable into 4+4 Pin on PSU Side (Fully-Modular PSU)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kevindsouza113

Reputable
May 3, 2018
Hi All. Accidentally plugged pcie 6+2 cable into 4+4 Pin on PSU Side (Fully-Modular PSU). Both are similarly keyed so the pcie cable went in without problems. I have corrected it now and the pcie cable is connected where it should be. Should I be worried?

Just for reference this is my PSU connector diagram: PSU Connector diagram. Its a 2019 Corsair RM750.

Thanks gus

Solution
Um, the reason the cables plugged in so easily is because those jacks were designed to be interchangeable. That's why they are labelled "6+2 PCIe & 4+4 CPU." It's the other end of those cables that reverses the polarity if needed for EPS or PCIe use. This is possible because both require only +12v and ground, and it would be easier to see this if the wires weren't all black.

Whatever your problem is, it's not because you plugged the modular cables in wrong. The keying makes that impossible without brute force. I suggest a memory test first.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The plug on the psu is irrelevant. It could be a 4pin, 6pin or 12pin, doesn't make a difference. What matters is 2 things. The plug(s) on the component end and the actual plug used on the psu. Most modular psus use the same outlet for pcie, cpu eps, Sata/molex, peripherals.

At the psu it's only a connection, the amount of pins is irrelevant, it's the polarity thats important.

For instance, an 8pin at the psu might be ground on top, power on bottom. The 4+4pin and 6+2pin would both plug into the same outlet. However, at the component end, the 4+4pin has power on bottom/ground above whereas the 6+2pin is reversed with power on top/ground below. Opposing polarity at the component end, even if supply connection is identical.

Reactions: kevindsouza113
Status
Not open for further replies.