[SOLVED] Accidentally Put GPU in While Powered On, Now Wont Post

Jun 24, 2020
Hi all,

I did a BIG, no-no... I was installing fans and had to remove my GPU to install bottom-mounted fans. Not sure why I even had my machine on.. but I plugged my GPU back in not even thinking about it and the machine instantly rebooted. Now, I cannot get my machine to post or any display input, even attempting to use the Integrated GPU on my i9 9900k. I'm worried I may have fried my motherboard. The only thing that is visually showing is that the GPU fans do not spin on boot like they did prior to this incident. All fans, RAM RGB, motherboard lights, etc. are all lit up and seem to be working.

Here's what I've done so far to troubleshoot:
  1. Cleared CMOS: attempted with no GPU as well as removing 1 RAM card, no fix
  2. Followed all the steps here except removing all components from my case: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...deo-output-troubleshooting-checklist.1285536/
Specs:
Intel i9 9900K
Asus Prime z370-A II
XFX RX 5700 XT Thicc III 8GB
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB)
Replace Power 850W ATX Power Supply

Any other help or ideas would be greatly appreciated! This was my first PC build and all was working great until this..

Solution
You probably blew 1st PCIe line on either GPU or PCIe controller/HUB. PCI Express devices are not hot-swappable as you might have figured by now.
Do this:
- Take RX5700 out AND disconnect its 12V power too.
- If 9900k on-die GPU does not work - faulty hub (EC/KBC), get a new motherboard or RMA this one and repeat.​
- If internal works insert the RX5700 into the other slot and connect the PCIe 12v to it.​
- If it does not - get a new GPU/RMA this one​
- If it does, you killed one PCIe slot/lane​
While it is still often possible to make a GPU with a few blown PCIe lanes work as x8 or x4 it is a very advanced repair and you get a "disabled" card.
Replacing the motherboard hub is an option but unless you...

DSzymborski

Titan
I'd go back and breadboard your build if you've done the whole checklist.

But not with this PSU, which is absolutely frightening and the lack of actual protections may have destroyed some of your other hardware. This dodgy off-brand, cheaply-made garbage (a voltage switch in 2020!) shouldn't even be allowed in the same house as the rest of these components, let alone inside a build like this and actually turned on!

Hopefully, the rest of your components are OK. Get this PSU to your local recycling center so that nobody accidentally uses it again.

Jun 24, 2020
I'd go back and breadboard your build if you've done the whole checklist.

But not with this PSU, which is absolutely frightening and the lack of actual protections may have destroyed some of your other hardware. This dodgy off-brand, cheaply-made garbage (a voltage switch in 2020!) shouldn't even be allowed in the same house as the rest of these components, let alone inside a build like this and actually turned on!

Hopefully, the rest of your components are OK. Get this PSU to your local recycling center so that nobody accidentally uses it again.

HAHA! I knew i was going to get chewed out for buying this piece of garbage... honestly there is so little PSUs on the market and I just wanted to get my build done.. no patience. I'll give breadboarding a go and see if I get anywhere. Thanks for the reply.

DSzymborski

Titan
HAHA! I knew i was going to get chewed out for buying this piece of garbage... honestly there is so little PSUs on the market and I just wanted to get my build done.. no patience. I'll give breadboarding a go and see if I get anywhere. Thanks for the reply.

Sorry, no way around it. It's the most important part of a PC build and a safe, adequate PSU comes before any other consideration. There's no way it's not the first thing that anyone's going to notice on your spec list! I hope you're not the umpteenth person to learn how very expensive cheap PSUs can be.

Jun 24, 2020
Sorry, no way around it. It's the most important part of a PC build and a safe, adequate PSU comes before any other consideration. There's no way it's not the first thing that anyone's going to notice on your spec list! I hope you're not the umpteenth person to learn how very expensive cheap PSUs can be.

Thanks for clarifying how important a reliable PSU is.. from a "noobs" perspective, you wouldn't think it would be. LESSON LEARNED!

DSzymborski

Titan
Tried that, still the same outcome :( I wonder if I could have shorted out something in the GPU. I'm wondering why I cant get it to post via the onboard GPU, I'm guessing it may something else.

Replace the PSU and then troubleshoot further. That some lights work doesn't mean anything; you could very well be OK after installing a new, proper PSU. That's the best outcome here. It's important to not troubleshoot with this PSU at all.

If a replacement PSU doesn't fix the problem, it becomes trickier. If, with a working PSU, you aren't POSTing even on integrated graphics, then it becomes likely the CPU and/or motherboard are fried. Do you know anyone who can test the GPU?

Jun 24, 2020
Replace the PSU and then troubleshoot further. That some lights work doesn't mean anything; you could very well be OK after installing a new, proper PSU. That's the best outcome here. It's important to not troubleshoot with this PSU at all.

If a replacement PSU doesn't fix the problem, it becomes trickier. If, with a working PSU, you aren't POSTing even on integrated graphics, then it becomes likely the CPU and/or motherboard are fried. Do you know anyone who can test the GPU?

Copy that, I'll put in an order for a new one that's trustworthy. Unfortunately I don't have another option to test the GPU. I did just buy most of these parts off Amazon so it may be my best option to just to send everything back LOL!

You probably blew 1st PCIe line on either GPU or PCIe controller/HUB. PCI Express devices are not hot-swappable as you might have figured by now.
Do this:
- If 9900k on-die GPU does not work - faulty hub (EC/KBC), get a new motherboard or RMA this one and repeat.​
- If internal works insert the RX5700 into the other slot and connect the PCIe 12v to it.​
While it is still often possible to make a GPU with a few blown PCIe lanes work as x8 or x4 it is a very advanced repair and you get a "disabled" card.
Replacing the motherboard hub is an option but unless you are a tech, it would cost you as much as a new motherboard.
Your other components should be OK.

Solution
Jun 24, 2020
Do this:
Replacing the motherboard hub is an option but unless you are a tech, it would cost you as much as a new motherboard.
Your other components should be OK.
Really appreciate the insight! I think from doing the above it's the motherboard. Just hoping nothing is wrong with the CPU since that's where the real $$$ in this build is. I am going to RMA the motherboard and the GPU (actually now despise these 5700xt cards, terrible micro-stuttering). Have an RTX 2080 super on its way which will go much farther!

Really appreciate the insight! I think from doing the above it's the motherboard. Just hoping nothing is wrong with the CPU since that's where the real $$$ in this build is. I am going to RMA the motherboard and the GPU (actually now despise these 5700xt cards, terrible micro-stuttering). Have an RTX 2080 super on its way which will go much farther!
2080 is a good card.
9900K is a fat chip, pay specific attention to VRM design when picking a motherboard. There is a good comparison table stickied in motherboard forum section.