Accidentally touch graphics card while running

Derstine Buyagan

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2013
Im trying to feel the air inside my case while it is ruuning but accidentally touched my graphics card, now my pc wont even boot anymore, psu fan isnt even spinning. What could be the problem?

Fingers cross, hope it shouldnt destroy all of my components inside.

Solution
The odds of you winning the mega millions vs you ".. mean by touch is my hand accidentally landed on the gpu's pcb " and wrecking the card, probably have better odds at that lottery.

The PSU failing explains a lot more. Chances are the PSU was already dead and there was no air when you were putting you hand in there to try to feel for the air flow, so the assumption that your PC was even running may be just that, an assumption. And PSU failures are pretty well known quantity, and it is bound to happen sooner or later, and it is fairly routine to have to replace PSUs. But sometimes you get lucky, like my 350W Seasonic from 2003 is still running being used in it's 8th rebuild powering my lower wattage Core i3 file server.

The quality...

jay.wooster

Prominent
Sep 27, 2018
Ouch !!!! It is most likely that something has become unseated when you touched the GPU. I would disconnect the PC and check each of the components is properly seated that that the PSU pins are properly connected to the Motherboard and other components first. Please ensure you remove all static before touching the components in your case. Once you have checked all items let us know if that fixed it. Hoping you didnt fry anything with static !!! :)

It could be as simple as the Power pins have become disconnected which lead to your on/off switch, they are quite fragile and can come out with very little force....

Were you on standing on Carpet or is the PC on carpet when you touched it ? Not deadly but more likely to generate static electricity. Ive fried a motherboard doing this, thats why i ask.

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
The odds of you destroying all components at one with your magic "touch" is 1 in some astronomical number. The more important question is what do you mean by "touch"? Where you charged up static electricity and put in a massive discharge at that time? This should be highly unlikely. And even if there was a discharge, a lot of this hardware stuff has been tested to survive in some way or form even in the such an event though none the OEM manufacturer would ever want to make warranty claims about such, but they need to have that tolerance just to get through most manufacturing processes and get good yields.

So TLDR, unless your "touch" is somehow more than a touch it is highly unlikely everything has been destroyed.

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
So having made the disclaimer, we still need to know what that touch really means? If it possible although improbable that you may have shorted something, yanked a cable, moved something you shouldn't have without realizing it. It would be good if you can provide a picture on the inside of your machine so we can help spot potential issues.

Derstine Buyagan

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2013
^pc is on top of a table. I was standing on a rug. I hooked up another psu at the moment and verified that i can still boot and use my computer again. The problem is my temporary psu doesnt have 6+8pins to hook up my card to see if still works. The sad thing now is my original psu which is a seasonic focus plus gold 650 watts is now dead . Can this be fixed or need to send back to the distributor?

Derstine Buyagan

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2013
@jaywooster. I added another temporary graphics card which doesnt require six pin. Im worried about my graphics card and my psu right now

Does psu has the power to save themselves from things like this?

And what does it mean by others that the psu will save the life of other components, does this mean that rather than motherboard or cpu, the psu will save them from damage in the cost of damaging the psu itself?

jay.wooster

Prominent
Sep 27, 2018
What is the graphics card ?

Presume its a 2070, 2080 or 2080ti if it needs a 6pin + 8pin power connecter ? If its a 2080 or 2080ti they advise a MINIMUM of 650 Watts on a good quality PSU so perhaps your existing PSU wasnt strong enough for the card ?

jay.wooster

Prominent
Sep 27, 2018
Gotcha, should be enough then mate. Hope you can RMA ? If you end up buying one instead or can pay the difference im an advocate of going strong on PSU, if your PSU goes it can take everything with it but it's your call mate. They say 650W is enough and so it should be, but i grabbed a 1000W Platinum which is overkill but for the price it gives me peace of mind.

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
The odds of you winning the mega millions vs you ".. mean by touch is my hand accidentally landed on the gpu's pcb " and wrecking the card, probably have better odds at that lottery.

The PSU failing explains a lot more. Chances are the PSU was already dead and there was no air when you were putting you hand in there to try to feel for the air flow, so the assumption that your PC was even running may be just that, an assumption. And PSU failures are pretty well known quantity, and it is bound to happen sooner or later, and it is fairly routine to have to replace PSUs. But sometimes you get lucky, like my 350W Seasonic from 2003 is still running being used in it's 8th rebuild powering my lower wattage Core i3 file server.

The quality of the PSU will determine whether the PSU takes the hit or if it lets harmful current and voltage get to the other components. Assuming your PSU is not counterfeit,ans Seasonic being a well know brand, then it is very likely that your system is should have been protected especially now that you can boot and run using a temporary PSU.

As for fixing a PSU, that requires skills with DVMs, soldering/de-soldering, and hunting down the fired component in the PSU. This is not advised for the average joe even on these forums. There are high voltage capacitors in there that may send you to the hospital. So do not even attempt, and that is one of the reason those PSU are in cases in a steel box.

If however you work for electronics manafucturer and does rework on RMA parts, then you might be qualified to work on that kind of stuff, but then it begs the question, why are you here asking us about this stuff.

Solution