[SOLVED] Accidentally unplugged PC while running and now won't boot up properly

Jul 2, 2020
Hi all,

I accidentally knocked over the power cord of my PC with my foot while it was running. When I plugged it back in and tried to start it, it never got to the Windows Screen. Instead, the motherboard loading screen showed up and spun around for a while, and then it turned black for a second before repeating the process (loading screen showed up over and over again).

I can enter the BIOS successfully without any issues. I looked online for some solutions and I tried unplugging the PSU, holding down the power button for 15 seconds to discharge the battery, and taking out the RAM and putting it back in again. None of this worked and I couldn't get past the motherboard loading splash screen.

Afterwards, I reset the CMOS by both using the jumpers and taking out the battery for 4 hours. This allowed me to get past the motherboard loading screen, but then went straight to a BSOD with the “Unmountable Boot Volume” error. It now enters a new boot loop similar to the last one, but this time it ends with that BSOD.

I then found this (https://www.technipages.com/windows-10-fix-unmountable-boot-volume-error) and tried to boot into a Windows 10 USB I created. It brings me to the first screen where it asks for keyboard, language, and time. I can get to the next screen and click "Repair your computer", but after that I get stuck on a purple screen. It's been like that for over 12 hours now and I'm completely at a loss for what to do.
  • ASROCK z170 Pro4s motherboard
  • RX 480 graphics card
  • Corsair CX600 Power supply
  • 8 GB of DDR4 RA
  • Seagate BarraCuda 2TB HDD
  • SK Hynix 250 GB SSD that Windows 10 was installed on.
I built this PC nearly 4 years ago and it was working completely fine before this whole fiasco. Are my drives corrupted? If so, is there any way to fix this mess?

Solution
That shouldn't bonk out your hardware but your OS is def botched after this happened. Good news is your hardware is fine, bad news is your OS might be corrupt or did not like what you did. It is one thing to turn off the power another to straight up yank the power out. Im glad your hardware is ok tho. If you want to make sure of this open up your case and boot up PC and see if you see any red lights upon booting up. If a red light turns on you have to see is it under RAM or CPU. Even if this is the case you can have a working system but it might be unstable. Do you have a image of your C drive you could make with Windows ? It sounds like the OS is jacked up. sighs

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
That shouldn't bonk out your hardware but your OS is def botched after this happened. Good news is your hardware is fine, bad news is your OS might be corrupt or did not like what you did. It is one thing to turn off the power another to straight up yank the power out. Im glad your hardware is ok tho. If you want to make sure of this open up your case and boot up PC and see if you see any red lights upon booting up. If a red light turns on you have to see is it under RAM or CPU. Even if this is the case you can have a working system but it might be unstable. Do you have a image of your C drive you could make with Windows ? It sounds like the OS is jacked up. sighs

Solution
Jul 2, 2020

Oh phew that's the best news I've heard all day. I've booted up the PC and thankfully there are no red lights anywhere. Sadly, I don't have an image of my C drive because I never made one while it was working. Is there a way to do this now?

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Oh phew that's the best news I've heard all day. I've booted up the PC and thankfully there are no red lights anywhere. Sadly, I don't have an image of my C drive because I never made one while it was working. Is there a way to do this now?

Well not if you can't get into Windows. But still no worries this is fixable and thankfully you didn't lose any files but if it was the old days with a hard drive then you can kiss your <Mod Edit> goodbye lol. Great no red lights your hardware is fine. Windows did not like it at all how it was power off like that. What you can do now is use USB stick as recovery and you can do a system restore to a previous time. I doubt the root is jacked up because your not getting any errors, so once again that is good news for you. Worst case scenario you can do a reset pc which we wan't to avoid at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 2, 2020
So I have been trying to use the USB stick as recovery, but it won't let me get past that very first screen after I boot into the USB. It gets stuck on a purple screen. Any way to fix this issue?

Jul 2, 2020
Well not if you can't get into Windows. But still no worries this is fixable and thankfully you didn't lose any files but if it was the old days with a hard drive then you can kiss your <Mod Edit> goodbye lol. Great no red lights your hardware is fine. Windows did not like it at all how it was power off like that. What you can do now is use USB stick as recovery and you can do a system restore to a previous time. I doubt the root is jacked up because your not getting any errors, so once again that is good news for you. Worst case scenario you can do a reset pc which we wan't to avoid at this point.

After almost 18 hours, I finally managed to get to the troubleshoot screen. I tried running chkdsk /r c: and it reported that there were no problems, so I thought everything was okay. However, upon closer inspection in diskpart, I noticed that my HDD was now C: (previously H: ) and my SSD was now D: (previously C: ). In addition, my SSD now shows a RAW partition. This leads me to suspect that my SSD is corrupted.

sfc /scannow doesn't work (Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation).
chkdsk /r d: doesn't work (An unspecified error occurred).

I think my only option is to try recovering data from the SSD and reformatting it, though I'm not sure how to do that. I may move this post to a different forum, because I don't think it's a Windows problem anymore.

Last edited by a moderator: