[SOLVED] Accidentally updated BIOS/UEFI firmware, chassi fan stopped spinning

Sep 27, 2021
So, first things first, I HOPE this section is where this goes. If not, I apologize. I wasn't sure where to put it.

As the title states I accidentally updated my BIOS. How does one manage to do this accidentally? By downloading all optional drivers that Windows Update suggests while half-asleep at 3 AM. Stupid, I know. I'm beating myself up for it in hindsight.

I left my computer for a bit while it restarted, and upon returning I found that it had booted to the BIOS settings, which I have never touched before in my life. Terrified that I would brick my motherboard by so much as looking at anything wrong, I exited in a hurry, choosing to exit without saving any changes. The computer restarted again after that and runs perfectly fine now save for the chassi fan not spinning. It spins on startup, then immediately stops. It used to spin all the time before. How can I fix this and get it spinning again?

I have an ASUS ROG Strix G15DK pre-built desktop.
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER

As for the motherboard model, I don't actually know... the site I purchased it from only tells me that its chipset is AMD B450, and System Information tells me it's just called G15DK.

PS: I would ideally need any responders to speak to me like I'm a cave-man that knows nothing about anything, because that is essentially the level of knowledge I'm at here. Thank you!

Solution
It spins on startup, then immediately stops. It used to spin all the time before. How can I fix this and get it spinning again?
It should start spinning again, after certain temperature threshold has been reached.
You can probably edit fan curve, to adjust fan operation to your liking.

Also make sure fan control mode is properly set.
4pin fans use PWM control mode.
3pin fans use linear voltage control mode.
Check your fan to determine correct mode setting.

BIOS update most likely had reset fan control settings to default.

Buljic

Prominent
Aug 31, 2021
First of all, you can not update BIOS in the way you described it. It's simply not possible to do so. However, there is a tool that allows update bios from windows. It usually comes on a CD disk with a moderboard. You have a pre-built pc so I doubt you have a tool like that on your machine. Even if you have, there is no way windows update can affect that.
Try some of these:

Turn off your pc, turn off PSU and unplug the power cable. Leave it for a few minutes, put everything back together, and see if your fans work after post.
In case this didn't work, reset CMOS by removing the CMOS battery, use a jumper if you have it on mb.
If this didn't work either, try to unplug your fans from motherboard and plug them back.

Reactions: kurdtnz
It spins on startup, then immediately stops. It used to spin all the time before. How can I fix this and get it spinning again?
It should start spinning again, after certain temperature threshold has been reached.

Solution
Sep 27, 2021
First of all, you can not update BIOS in the way you described it. It's simply not possible to do so.

It's entirely possible that I'm mistaken and that my BIOS wasn't actually updated... I made this assumption based on the fact that it booted straight to BIOS on restart, and that my Windows Update update history stated that "ASUSTeK Firmware 204" had been successfully installed. The System Information app also states that my BIOS version is now "ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. 204".

Turning off PC, PSU and unplugging the power cable for a while unfortunately did not work, but I'll look into how to do a CMOS reset and give that a shot, as well as unplugging fans if that doesn't work. I've never directly touched or unplugged components from the motherboard before, so I'll have to do a bit more researching first I think.

probably a bios settings to turn the fan on.
there should be manual for the g15dk on asus site

I found the manual, but can't find any information in it regarding BIOS settings, just a section advicing users to restore the BIOS to its default settings or update it in case of fan trouble. I tried booting BIOS back up again and restoring the default settings, but no luck there. I might just have to tweak the fan settings manually...

Not sure if the fan is 4pin or 3pin, will have to check, as well as looking into editing fan curves.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions so far, I really appreciate it. Sounds like I'll have to do some further research before I try some of these potential solutions, but at least I have something to go on now!

Buljic

Prominent
Aug 31, 2021
If you knew a version of your bios before this happened, it would help a lot. Are you sure you cleared CMOS, it should help. You can try Load Optimal Default, on Asus it should be on the last tab in UEFI.

Not sure if the fan is 4pin or 3pin, will have to check, as well as looking into editing fan curves.

Just count the number of holes on your fan connector
4pin connector
3pin connector
You can also look at the Qfan Control in your bios (PWM should mean that you have a 4pin fan, DC is preset for 3pin). Still, your best bet is to see a fan connector for yourself because some motherboards can control 3pin fans in PWM modes...

Paperdoc very well explained this... You can check his post here.

Sep 27, 2021
If you knew a version of your bios before this happened, it would help a lot. Are you sure you cleared CMOS, it should help. You can try Load Optimal Default, on Asus it should be on the last tab in UEFI.

Just count the number of holes on your fan connector
4pin connector
3pin connector
You can also look at the Qfan Control in your bios (PWM should mean that you have a 4pin fan, DC is preset for 3pin). Still, your best bet is to see a fan connector for yourself because some motherboards can control 3pin fans in PWM modes...

Paperdoc very well explained this... You can check his post here.
I really wish I knew what BIOS version I had before so I could just downgrade to it, but as I never planned to do any upgrades I also never thought to check. :(

I couldn't find any jumper on the mobo so I removed the CMOS battery today and left it out for approx. 15 minutes, then put it back in and was prompted to set up BIOS again, loaded Optimized Defaults... still no luck. Also tried unplugging the fan (which was apparently a 3pin fan, the fan port is 4pin, thanks for the useful link!) and re-plugging, as well as making sure that the fan settings in BIOS were appropriate for the fan now that I know what type it is.

It continues to stubbornly stop spinning as soon as the OS loads.

I have ASUS Armoury Crate and Aura Sync as both came pre-installed, could either of those be the culprit? I've barely used either but did see that Armoury Crate has fan monitoring capabilities, could it also control fans?

Sep 27, 2021
Posting again to say I solved the issue -- the culprit was indeed Armoury Crate. I had to stop it from running on startup and now the fan stays on!

Buljic

Prominent
Aug 31, 2021
Posting again to say I solved the issue -- the culprit was indeed Armoury Crate. I had to stop it from running on startup and now the fan stays on!

This was the problem in that case...

Anyway, glad you solve the problem