[SOLVED] Accidently screwed 3.5 hard drive screw into motherboard, will it be ok?

squid917

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2013
Hi! I made the stupid mistake of screwing in the 3.5 inch hard drive screw into one of the motherboard standoffs and now I believe I stripped the threads and it is stuck. I wasn't able to remove it, as I couldn't grip the standoff in order to remove the screw. I decided to continue the build and did the rest of the motherboard with the right screws. Is it ok if the 3.5 inch screw stays? It does not fully screw in, but stays enough in place where it does not move. Thanks!

Solution
Hi! I made the stupid mistake of screwing in the 3.5 inch hard drive screw into one of the motherboard standoffs and now I believe I stripped the threads and it is stuck. I wasn't able to remove it, as I couldn't grip the standoff in order to remove the screw. I decided to continue the build and did the rest of the motherboard with the right screws. Is it ok if the 3.5 inch screw stays? It does not fully screw in, but stays enough in place where it does not move. Thanks!
As long as it didn't cross thread and it isn't shorting something you should be OK. The diameter and height of the screw head can be different for the disk drive screws. IF you can't easily back the screw out and put the correct screw in, then it is...

kanewolf

Titan
As long as it didn't cross thread and it isn't shorting something you should be OK. The diameter and height of the screw head can be different for the disk drive screws. IF you can't easily back the screw out and put the correct screw in, then it is probably cross threaded and it will be difficult if you ever want to change motherboards.

Reactions: drea.drechsler
Solution