Account Question

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Marc Bissonnette <dragnet@internalysis.com> once tried to test me with:

> Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote in
>
>> Marc Bissonnette <dragnet@internalysis.com> once tried to test me
>> with:
>>
>>> (I'm a DB/CGI programmer, so I'm not pulling numbers out of my bum
>>> :)
>>>
>>> There's a *ton* of information stored per character, that would take
>>> far more than a kilobyte.
>>>
>>> A kilobyte ? Not even close (That would only be 1024 yes/no on/off
>>> bits of data)
>>
>> You're a programmer, and you don't know that a kiloBYTE can store a
>> hell of a lot more than 1024 yes/no bits of data? I think you need to
>>
>> A BYTE is 8 bits. So that's 8 different yes/no values per BYTE. And
>> that's 1024 of those.
>>
>> This is basic CS 101 stuff. It doesn't get any more basic than this.
>> :/
>>
>> Besides which, the data they'll be storing is most likely NOT a
>> series of yes/no values. They're probably using numerical codes that
>> mean something specific, like a code for each face-style, etc.
>
><Rolls eyes>
>
> So, lemme get this straight: You think that all the character data is
> stored in a single kiloBYTE on their servers ?

Uh, NO, did I write that? Pick another straw man.

> Of course, in the classic newb-to-usenet fashion, you snipped the rest
> of my comment, which stated that there is probably, on average, 10-20K
> of data per character, minimum.

Regardless, you made an error, I corrected it. And if you think i'm a newb,
you're an idiot. Go use google and get a free clue.

> Given even the volume of data stored, this just makes sense.
> Obviously, however, to geniuses like you, it can all magically be
> squeezed into a byte or three, eh ?

No, genius, I didn't write that. Go back and reread the thread, you seem to
have a reading comprehension problem.

> You *do* know, by the way, that storing a byte with eight bits of
> *usable* data is only true if they're communicating directly in
> binary, eh ?

Communicating directly in binary? Are you on crack? You do not have to
write code in binary to use bytes. You can do it in C, C++, C# or any
number of languages that support bitwise operations if you're wanting to
use 1-bit flags for yes-no variables.

> Ya caught me on my slip-up with the 8 bits to a byte - however, there
> are 1024 bytes to a kilobyte, which is, generally, still 1024 pieces
> of useable information.

It's 1024 8-bit pieces of information. You can store 8 yes/no bits of data
in 8 bits.

> (Try it: type "1" 1024 times in a text file and see how big the file
> is...)

LOL, and what would that prove? That "1" is a type char, which is a byte.
That's not the same as "yes/no" which only requires 1 bit.

> Thanks ever so much for your gentlemanly response.

Look, you tried to pass yourself off with credentials as being a
programmer, then you screwed up something as basic as the difference
between bits and bytes. Sorry if I was a bit harsh, but you were flat out
wrong.

I have no idea if they can store a character in CoH in a single kilobyte,
because I do not have any clue (nor does anyone else reading this) about
how many bits of data they actually need to store to store character
status. I'm sure I could think of some things, but I probably wouldn't
think of everything and that could throw off the numbers when talking about
the database size as a whole by a huge ass margin. I only wanted to correct
your error, I do not disagree with you (neither do I agree) with how large
the size must be to store a character. Truthfully, I think 20k is probably
a pretty high estimate, but 1k is probably low.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net> once tried to test me with:

> On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 16:31:11 GMT, Marc Bissonnette
><dragnet@internalysis.com> wrote:
>
>>Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote in

>>> Curious how everyone on Usenet is suddenly a programmer when it is
>>> convenient to lend credibility to their side of an argument, isn't
>>> it? ;)
>>
>>Curious how you don't read the .sig file of every post I've made to
>>this or any other newsgroup that says that yes, I've always been a
>>programmer, isn't it ?
>
> ...curious how you think that linking to DB management tool sites
> automatically tells people you're a programmer and not just whoring
> traffic to a website. And how you assume in classic newb-to-usenet
> style that everyone even bothers to read sigs (many (in fact, I'd
> wager most) don't).

If you do go to his site, you find his resume here:

http://www.internalysis.com/resume.html

It shows that he is a self-taught programmer since 1995, when he taught
himself HTML and Perl. Apparently he taught himself MySQL in 2002. I don't
have anything against self-teaching, and I can see how someone who isn't
formally educated might have missed out on bitwise operations.

However, you also will find that he's a volunteer firefighter, which IMHO
is a much more commendable job than a mere programmer. ;)

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

> Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net> once tried to test me with:
>
>> On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 16:31:11 GMT, Marc Bissonnette
>><dragnet@internalysis.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote in

>>>Curious how you don't read the .sig file of every post I've made to
>>>this or any other newsgroup that says that yes, I've always been a
>>>programmer, isn't it ?
>>
>> ...curious how you think that linking to DB management tool sites
>> automatically tells people you're a programmer and not just whoring
>> traffic to a website. And how you assume in classic newb-to-usenet
>> style that everyone even bothers to read sigs (many (in fact, I'd
>> wager most) don't).
>
> If you do go to his site, you find his resume here:
>
> http://www.internalysis.com/resume.html
>
> It shows that he is a self-taught programmer since 1995, when he
> taught himself HTML and Perl. Apparently he taught himself MySQL in
> 2002. I don't have anything against self-teaching, and I can see how
> someone who isn't formally educated might have missed out on bitwise
> operations.
>
> However, you also will find that he's a volunteer firefighter, which
> IMHO is a much more commendable job than a mere programmer. ;)

LOL;

Flame-wars in a gaming newsgroup are definitely not my idea of
entertainment, so I'll simply reply with

"Being a volunteer/on call firefighter is also a helluva lot more
interesting than the programming side of income-generation :)

--
Marc Bissonnette
CGI / Database / Web Management Tools: http://www.internalysis.com

Marc Bissonnette <dragnet@internalysis.com> wrote:
> *yawn* Are you done yet or is there some more you need to get off your
> chest to vent your feelings of RL inadequacy, "dark tyger" ?

Dude, you're the guy who falsely accused somebody else of creative
editing. Get over it already.
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 14:38:04 -0700, Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net>
scribed into the ether:

>On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 19:48:02 GMT, Marc Bissonnette
><dragnet@internalysis.com> wrote:

>>Just off the top of my head:

[snip]

>>and a ton more that I'm not even aware of.
>
>All of this can be condensed easily into a line of text per item at
>most. Several of these can be condensed into 5 characters or less.

>Quite honestly, the biggest chunk of data might be the "fog of war"
>data for the zone maps. Even that can't be very big.

Fog of War for zone maps is stored locally, AFAIK. There are mods you can
get which give you completely opened up maps as soon as you walk
in...obviously only for city zones, not mission maps (but mission map
exploration doesn't get stored anyway).

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 07:48:40 -0700, Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net>
scribed into the ether:

>On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 04:56:38 GMT, "Clem Clambake"
><clemclambake@yahoo.coma> wrote:
>
>>Does anyone know how long before COH delete's characters from an inactive
>>account?
>>
>>Clem Clambake
>
>As with most MMO's, they haven't ever wiped inactive accounts. Some
>MMO's may say they'll delete characters after the account has been
>active x number of months, but I haven't heard of them actually doing
>it.

Well, UO did. Not sure if they still do, but disc space was a lot more
expensive "in those days"...you didn't even have to have your account
deactivated, just to have not played the character for a bit. You'd get a
message at the character selection screen that X had 15 more days to live
or whatever.

Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:
> Fog of War for zone maps is stored locally, AFAIK.

I don't disbelieve you, but there aren't many things that are stored
locally; I don't know why FOW would be. If you were to log in with a
different client, you'd see different unfogging? I don't THEENK so...

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 29 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 21:14:16 -0000, Shenanigunner
<shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:

>Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:
>> Fog of War for zone maps is stored locally, AFAIK.
>
>I don't disbelieve you, but there aren't many things that are stored
>locally; I don't know why FOW would be. If you were to log in with a
>different client, you'd see different unfogging? I don't THEENK so...

Yeah, I'd uninstalled CoH completely from my system, even went through
a HD format, during my break from CoH. After reinstalling, the maps
were still all unfogged as they were before I left.

--
Dark Tyger

Stop the madness! (Marvel Vs Cryptic Studios petition)
http://www.petitiononline.com/marvscoh/petition.html

Hey, everyone else is doing it. Free iPod:
http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=15728814

Marc Bissonnette <dragnet@internalysis.com> once tried to test me with:

> "Being a volunteer/on call firefighter is also a helluva lot more
> interesting than the programming side of income-generation :)

I'd imagine so. Closest thing to a fire I ever got was burning up my
parent's kitchen when I was 14 years old. They still love me though. And I
learned an important lesson that day. Don't throw water on a grease fire.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Marc Bissonnette wrote:
> "Being a volunteer/on call firefighter is also a helluva lot more
> interesting than the programming side of income-generation :)

I don't know about that. Exciting? Perhaps... But interests vary. I can
become so interested in coding, that I literally loose track of hours
at a time.

> Marc Bissonnette <dragnet@internalysis.com> once tried to test me
> with:
>
>> "Being a volunteer/on call firefighter is also a helluva lot more
>> interesting than the programming side of income-generation :)
>
> I'd imagine so. Closest thing to a fire I ever got was burning up my
> parent's kitchen when I was 14 years old. They still love me though.
> And I learned an important lesson that day. Don't throw water on a
> grease fire.

LOL - A good lesson to learn :) We're out in a fairly rural area, so we see
a *lot* of chimney and bush fires. Amazing how many people don't remember
that chimney cleaning is *vitally* important, especially for wood stoves.

I think one of the worst things to see (relatively speaking) is a home or
property that could have been saved if only the homeowner had called as
soon as they realized something was wrong, rather than waiting to see if
they could get it under control. Much, *much* better to have the fire
department come out to something that has since died down, rather than to a
fully involved structure fire in which the priority changes to saving
surrounding structures, rather than that which is burning. (After, of
course, ensuring no lives are at risk)

Ounce of prevention and all of that (Odds are that if even one in ten
people reading this message got up and checked their smoke detector, a
surprising number of them would discover dead batteries...) (Related to
that: People who have hard-wired smoke detectors with no battery-only
powered detectors as back ups - frustrating!)

--

> Fact is, EQ has never wiped inactive accounts, and they're running on
> 6 years now. Hell, they even hold backups of deleted characters until
> a new one with the same name on the same server is made. I once had a
> character that had been deleted for nearly a full year restored.

I think that they are wiping them now that they are doing massive server
merges. And even then, it is only if the character is below some level (10
I think) and hasn't been played for X months. (I think X is 6, but am not
sure)

--
Marcel
http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/

Marc Bissonnette <dragnet@internalysis.com> once tried to test me with:

> Ounce of prevention and all of that (Odds are that if even one in ten
> people reading this message got up and checked their smoke detector, a
> surprising number of them would discover dead batteries...) (Related to
> that: People who have hard-wired smoke detectors with no battery-only
> powered detectors as back ups - frustrating!)

Oh man smoke detectors is a sore spot for me. In our house they are all
linked somehow, and so when one goes off they all do, but unfortunately,
this also means that when one battery dies, ALL THE FRICKIN' DETECTORS
START BEEPING!! So it's a real hassle to change the batteries on these
things. It's gotten to the point where I just buy 9 or so 9-volts and keep
them on hand to replace ALL of them as soon as they start beeping, easier
than figuring out which one is dead.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote:
> Oh man smoke detectors is a sore spot for me. In our house they are
> all linked somehow, and so when one goes off they all do, but
> unfortunately, this also means that when one battery dies, ALL THE
> FRICKIN' DETECTORS START BEEPING!! So it's a real hassle to change the
> batteries on these things.

That's weird. Detectors that are linked are usually AC-powered with onboard
rechargeables - I've never heard of 9V-powered, linked detectors. What
brand or system is it?

--

> Marc Bissonnette <dragnet@internalysis.com> once tried to test me
> with:
>
>> Ounce of prevention and all of that (Odds are that if even one in ten
>> people reading this message got up and checked their smoke detector,
>> a surprising number of them would discover dead batteries...)
>> (Related to that: People who have hard-wired smoke detectors with no
>> battery-only powered detectors as back ups - frustrating!)
>>

> Oh man smoke detectors is a sore spot for me. In our house they are
> all linked somehow, and so when one goes off they all do, but
> unfortunately, this also means that when one battery dies, ALL THE
> FRICKIN' DETECTORS START BEEPING!! So it's a real hassle to change the
> batteries on these things. It's gotten to the point where I just buy 9
> or so 9-volts and keep them on hand to replace ALL of them as soon as
> they start beeping, easier than figuring out which one is dead.

LOL, it's sort of like insurance: Annoying as all hell to remember the
details while you don't need it (esp. paying the bills when you've got
more important things, like a new riding mower, to buy :), but it
literally saves lives when smoke starts in the bottom floor and people
are sleeping in the top.

Ironically enough, I never used to believe the fire prevention
commercials that said a house can burn in as little as 90 seconds. In the
two years of being a firefighter, though, I've *seen* it. If you're
interested, take a look at this:

http://www.beachburg.com/firehall/

the images of the house fire were a controlled burn as part of a training
excercise (home was infested with termites, so it needed to be burned) -
From the time of lighting it in the corner of one room to the point where
the flame burst through the roof: 1 minute, 50 seconds.

Without linked detectors, anyone asleep in the top floor who didn't wake
up would have literally had the choice of jumping from the top floor or
burning to death. At the 3 minute mark, even that choice was removed as
flame engulfed the entire home.

Makes ya think :)

(And yeah, I've got linked detectors, battery backups, fire extinguishers
and an escape ladder on the second floor - shame it took me being a
firefighter to realize these are small prices to pay for the hopefully
never-used eventuality of a fire :( )

--
Marc Bissonnette
CGI / Database / Web Management Tools: http://www.internalysis.com
Looking for a new ISP? http://www.canadianisp.com

Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> once tried to test me
with:

> That's weird. Detectors that are linked are usually AC-powered with
> onboard rechargeables - I've never heard of 9V-powered, linked
> detectors. What brand or system is it?

I don't know what brand it is. They are AC-powered, but the battery is in
them I guess in case AC is off or something, but the batteries still go
dead every year or so. And the batteries are not rechargables, they're
regular 9-volts.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.