ACER 620U - DRIVERS

Adramelech

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2002
I've been using this Acer 620U forever. It isn't the fastest but it looks great for what I'm doing. I just blew a load of cash buying all the parts for my new PC and don't have enough cash to buy a new scanner. It still works perfectly... EXCEPT - I doubt it will work with Windows XP. I bought it back in 1999 I believe. I went to Acers site to see that they don't even list drivers for it at all.. so I guess it's no longer supported. I like it because it uses Mirascan... so Photoshop just uses it as the twain device and I don't have to use a cheesy external software. I emailed Acer and got an automated reply saying they will contact me shortly. It has been 5 days with no reply. I'd hate to build my new PC, load in a device that doesn't work, and have to uninstall it... which would most likely leave trace elements making a mess of Windows... Has anyone used this 620U on XP with the software that came with it?

Todd F.

smitbret

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
Works fine for me. Although Acer has since moved their scanner line to the Benq name, updated drivers are available if you look. Windows XP still recognized it just fine.
-Brett

MikefromDetroit

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
ACERSCAN 620U Drivers working on Windows 8 64-Bit

Get the x64 drivers here: http://www.eightforums.com/hardware-drivers/16245-old-acer-benq-scanner-drivers-x84-x64.html

Ignore the heavy duty INF instructions and just do this:

because they're unsigned you'll have to 'advanced restart' then select #7: run without checking device signatures; load the drivers after okaying a red box warning.

I downloaded GIMP 2 (freeware) to actually run the scanner instead of the old Mirascan software: File > Create > Scanner/Camera > select "flatbed" and it works/scans.

So happy that in the year 2013 my old flatbed STILL WORKS!! This was a brand-new Dell (2013) running Windows 8 64 bits! I've never posted anything 'techie' before, but after searching for hours and getting this working I wanted to help others.

Download Gimp2; Download drivers+unzip; advance restart+signature detection off + load drivers.

CaliforniaBruce

Honorable
Jan 19, 2013
Thank you, Mike! This worked like a (free) charm on a new installation of Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

Since I am just starting with Win 7 after years with XP, I had to search around for how to do some of Mike's steps. Here are the details that worked for me:

Download the driver ZIP file (x64.zip at the link given by MikefromDetroit) and unzip all the files into a directory that you can easily find again.

Make sure that the scanner is connected and turned on, so Windows can find it.

Restart the computer, tapping F8 during bootup until “Advanced boot options” appears. If F8 brings up the BIOS settings instead, exit the bios setting screen without saving and quickly tap F8 a few times again to get the Windows "Advanced boot options" screen.

Then select the option to install device drivers without checking signatures.

Once booted up, from the Start menu, select Control Panel, then Device Manager, then right-click the scanner.
Click Update Driver Software, then Browse my computer for driver software, then browse to the directory with the driver files (specifically, a file ending in .inf).
Click Next. A red warning window will appear, saying “Windows can’t verify the publisher of this driver software”. Click Install this driver software anyway. A window saying “Windows has successfully updated your driver software” will appear. Click Close.

This installs a more rudimentary interface than the old MiraScan, but it works. Scan to a JPG or other format image file by going to the Start menu, clicking "Devices and Printers", and double-clicking the "FlatbedScanner 13". You have much less control over the image; no levels clipping, tone curve, etc., just brightness and contrast. But again, it does work.

For much more control, consider downloading VueScan, which supports this and other scanners -- but it costs $40, maybe more than you want to invest in a scanner whose bulb will probably fail one of these days anyway.

If you use Corel X6 Graphics Suite, you will also need to install Service Pack 1 to allow scanning in a 64-bit operating system. With that, you can select the scanner and acquire an image directly into Corel PhotoPaint or Draw using the same simple interface that you see by clicking the scanner directly.

Thanks again, Mike. You made my day.