Question Upgrading to new computer - old computer hard drive in USB3.0 external enclosure

Jul 24, 2024
Good morning,

I am responsible for all the computers in my department at my university. Our replacement policy for computers are 4 years for laptops and 5 years for desktops. When a staff member upgrades to a new PC / Laptop, we remove the storage device (hard drive or SSD) from the old machine, if the staff member does not have any need for the old machine. We also do this when a PC / Laptop fails.

I have now experienced 2 cases where we followed this procedure, but ran into bit locker message.

In the first case it was not an issue, as the hard drive did not have any data on it just the OPS system. However, in the 2nd case, the laptop was older than 4 years but was still being used. The power module failed. which makes it unusable and it will not be repaired. As the staff member needed access to the data on the storage drive, we followed our ussual procedure. This laptop was equipoed with a SSD and it was installed in the appropriate USB3.0 enclosure and then we had the bit locker message appear when we tried to access it.

We did not consciously activated bit locker on the old laptop, but it had in its BIOS, the TMP Embedded Security feature activated. Would this result in the bit locker message?

Thank you for reading. Hope for an answer good or bad.