Question Acer Aspire laptop isn't turning on after failed BIOS update

Jun 21, 2020
Hi so recently, I tried updating the BIOS of my laptop which I later learned was the incorrect version. Anyway during the update, the sysem froze up but the fan and display was still running. I left it for a couple hours and saw no progress. Later on, I had to forcefully shuf down the computer by removing all power. However when I plugged back in the charger, the computer didn't recognise it at all. When I press the power button, I get nothing. So far I've exhausted almost all of the basic troubleshooting and tried removing the CMOS battery. These efforts led to no progress and I'm almost convinced that this is a result of a corrupted BIOS chip. The laptop I was using was a Acer Aspire 7720Z, it's a rather old model but prior to the update was booting and running as normal. So considering that only after the failed BIOS update, the computer would not start I would have to assume it's somehow related to that. So I'm thinking of investing in a CH314A EPROM programmer which is said to reflash the BIOS firmware but I do have some concerns.

- In your experience/knowledge, is it normal for a laptop to be completely unresponsive after a failed BIOS/corrupted BIOS chip?

- Would you recommend using the CH314A programmer on laptop that shows no signs of power?

I fear that the motherboard is dead, so I'm really hoping this is just a corrupt BIOS issue. Considering the age of the laptop, replacing. a motherboard would be as cost equivalent to buying a new PC. So any assistance would be appreciated, thank you.

Jun 21, 2020
This is the way to go if you want to brick your computer.

Now - I haven't had a look inside your laptop model, but I guess repairing it now will require desoldering of the bios chip. Doing that require both soldering skills and equipment.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah looking back, I shouldn't have been tampering with that without the proper research. I do have a fair exprience with soldering but are you refrrring to replacing the BIOS chip or removing it for reprogramming? Because I've seen reprogrammers which have test clips which snap onto the BIOS chip without desoldering. I'm open to either option though.

Jun 21, 2020
Thread seems to be forgotten but I have not resolved the issue or attempted any fixes without proper context. I would like to believe, the laptop can be repair, so any help would be much appreciated!

Jun 21, 2020
Why not simply replace the laptop with a working one? Much simpler than trying to replace the BIOS chip or the motherboard and since that is an almost 10 yr old model you can buy same or faster systems for about 100-200.

Well that's what I plan on doing in the near future. Like I said, I'm fairly new to the PC building community and it's something I'm intending on venturing into. I don't think I'm prepared to get into that right now, considering how the pandemic is affecting online shopping taxes, etc.

Meanwhile, since I've identified the issue which is the BIOS chip, I'm still interested in the possibility of repairing it, regardless of being a 10 yr old model. As I stated above, I'm considering to invest in a CH314A EPROM programmer which costs roughly 10$ on Ebay but I'm not as confident of how successful it actually is. Which is why was asking for a recommendation. The programmer doesn't require any desoldering but is done through a program via another computer.

There's a official thread here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...pter-and-a-soic-8-clip.3593910/#post-21827940

Now, a user above me suggested another method which included desoldering the BIOS chip once identified but didn't continue any further. So I'm very hesitant to continue without knowing exactly how to proceed. Either way, it's a low risk, high reward situation. Whether I fix it or not, I'll be buying/building a new PC but if I do succeed in fixing it then I'll have both computers to work with.

Sorry for the long read but I hope you understand my situation and thanks for replying.

Did you actually go through the guide up to the point of measuring resistances (so that it is clearly necessary to desolder it)?
If you are positive about having a wrong BIOS, then it is an easy fix. Give the guide a try or take it to a tech that is comfortable doing so.
Update: Just noticed the dates, I guess you already have a new one :)