[SOLVED] Acer Aspire Nitro V shutting off randomly ?

alexcameron26

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2015
I have had this Acer Aspire Nitro V for nearly 2 years, its never given me any issues now all of a sudden its shutting off suddenly when running a game or 3D mark benchmarks, its not overheating cause ive checked the temps during a game and the CPU never goes above 85 degrees C and the GPU never goes above 92 degrees C, i cant figure what could be causing it to suddenly shut off when under load ?

specs are

i7-4720HQ 2.8Ghz

16GB DDR3 1600

GTX 960M 4GB

Solution
Well it may not be the temperature, it could be just a failing gpu. You said it shuts off under power draw when you start playing games. So it may be shutting off before it reaches hot temperatures.

alexcameron26

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2015
doesnt matter the temp , as soon as i put stress on the system beyond normal day to day stuff, it shuts off no warning not eeven a click noise that im told is a sign of overheat shut off. it turned off while i was playing minecraft, and that game doesnt even put that much stress on my GPU

and all the articles ive looked up on this issue tells me its a PSU failure, even tho i dont understand that when the laptop has a battery backup

Last edited:

alexcameron26

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2015
Ok so go into device manager and click on display adapter, go to disable device and click on that. This will disable the gpu and you will be using the cpu hd for graphics. Now try gaming and see if it shuts down.

so no shut down so you were right the GPU is hitting its thermal limit and shutting the system down, i just replaced the thermal paste on the CPU and GPU, and i cleaned out the heatsinks and fans a month ago so i dont know why its overheating, since it only started doing this in the past week

alexcameron26

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2015
What is the ambient room temperature that you are using the laptop in? If you can control the gpu fan, say with an app like MSI Afterburner, Afterburner (msi.com) you can try adjusting the fan speed to try and cool it down.

It has a dual fan cooling system the fans can be controlled Independant but both fans cool both the CPU and gpu

The ambient temp in my room is about 23 degrees give or take a few degrees I also use a laptop cooling pad at all times

alexcameron26

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2015
Well it may not be the temperature, it could be just a failing gpu. You said it shuts off under power draw when you start playing games. So it may be shutting off before it reaches hot temperatures.

i found the problem, turns out i didnt have one of the screws holding down the heatsinks seating properly so the heatsink was not completely flush with the GPU chip, reapplied the paste and made sure the block was seating correctly and tightened down, ran a 3D mark test for an hour no turn offs and the GPU never went above 75C

I appreciate you helping me out apparently it was my own mistake that almost killed my GPU.

Reactions: Fix_that_Glitch