Question Acer Aspire Z5710 AIO --- onboard WIFI card not recognised and wifi dongles not working either ?

Tim042

Reputable
Sep 10, 2020
Hi, i have the Z5710 running Windows 7and i can't get any WIFI using 3 dongles, drivers and the onboard card which i checked is in its slot and wires connect to antennas on top, all ok. Also the usual troubleshooter button and in Device manager under Network adaptors, i dont see any built in adaptor. So is it not recognising its own wifi? So is there a hidden wifi button or in windows 7?

Also inserted 2 other cards into slot and computer just beeps once happy and loads windows. None seen in device manager and dongles show as yellow no detail wifi in other devices.
Usually a dongle or two, you get internet showing and enter password but symbol on taskbar is red cross so no networks available or seen. tried all the usual ideas.
Bios, everything is enabled including LAN. Seems like that slot is dead? buy why the usbs dongles which i know those usb slots are working. Windows 7 fresh installed and everything else is working great. Vid, Audio ect.

In network adaptor in DM, two bluetooth listings are there and a intel gigabit network connection and i uninstalled that and restarted and it reinstalled and still nothing. Is that only the controller for wired connection or wifi too? but it is fine no yellow. Reason i suggest card slot might be dead is the other diff cards i put in should have caused lots of beeps as unsupported cards surely? but nothing. So slot dead or inactive? and why usb dongles not working either but showing up as yellow unknowns?

Onboard Card is Ralink RT3090 and i already installed driver but it's not recognised anyway?
Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
Hi, i have the Z5710 running Windows 7and i can't get any WIFI using 3 dongles, drivers and the onboard card which i checked is in its slot and wires connect to antennas on top, all ok. Also the usual troubleshooter button and in Device manager under Network adaptors, i dont see any built in adaptor. So is it not recognising its own wifi? So is there a hidden wifi button or in windows 7?

Also inserted 2 other cards into slot and computer just beeps once happy and loads windows. None seen in device manager and dongles show as yellow no detail wifi in other devices.
Usually a dongle or two, you get internet showing and enter password but symbol on taskbar is red cross so no networks available or seen. tried all the usual ideas.
Bios, everything is enabled including LAN. Seems like that slot is dead? buy why the usbs dongles which i know those usb slots are working. Windows 7 fresh installed and everything else is working great. Vid, Audio ect.

In network adaptor in DM, two bluetooth listings are there and a intel gigabit network connection and i uninstalled that and restarted and it reinstalled and still nothing. Is that only the controller for wired connection or wifi too? but it is fine no yellow. Reason i suggest card slot might be dead is the other diff cards i put in should have caused lots of beeps as unsupported cards surely? but nothing. So slot dead or inactive? and why usb dongles not working either but showing up as yellow unknowns?

Onboard Card is Ralink RT3090 and i already installed driver but it's not recognised anyway?
Thanks for any help.
Have you tried booting a portable Linux OS off a flash drive? It is most likely a software problem. Using a different OS will help confirm. Your only option could end up being a reinstall of Windows.

Tim042

Reputable
Sep 10, 2020
Yeah this is a curly one. The Dongles show up as unknown with yellow in DM. The Card and 2 others i tried did NOT show up anywhere in DM
I have tried Win 10 and did fresh install of Win 7 and same problem. Also, with Win 10, the computer would take 2 or 3 starts to get going before windows even started. Usual things like PS ect, i already tested. Since loading Win 7, starts perfectly to windows. So might have a M/B issue as that Wifi slot may not be active for some reason. Maybe bios issue? update? I will contact Acer techs to see if they had this problem. When you plug in anything, it should at least show up in DM known or unknown without drivers. 3 cards and nothing and i unplugged the antennas, but that shouldnt make a diff to the slot connection any way, only the signal not working. I could try a dvd Mint/linux load and i usually test computers without H/D's this way, and see if the slot works but any windows install and good bios, you should have slots working and only seen this on this Z5710. So will ask ACER's guys what they think. I could do a SFC on the drive but 2 diff windows and fresh install 7 and still not working? unless the m/b isnt working right and screwing up the install files?
Thanks for you help.

Tim042

Reputable
Sep 10, 2020
Have you tried booting a portable Linux OS off a flash drive? It is most likely a software problem. Using a different OS will help confirm. Your only option could end up being a reinstall of Windows.
Yes i did that today using a usb ubunto and disconnected the hard drive so it ran off stick only and other dongles worked instantly but the onboard card was not seen. So Linus, 7 and 10 fresh not seen that small PCI slot it seems per DM. I also went through bios to make sure all was enabled ect and also used default reset
settings to make to computer as usable as it could be assuming any setting in bios was effecting the wifi card but that didnt work so looks like we have a dead slot and i might have to pull a schematic and trace the power and signals to see if i can find what went wrong. i can also get a up to date usb wifi, but that would be TOO easy.....