Acer, Asus Using Fiberglass to Keep Ultrabook Cost Low

Status
Not open for further replies.

klavis

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
I'd be concerned about the fragility of a fiber glass case. I would imagine a case that thin would be prone to cracking.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
I can't imagine just how much machining actually goes into an aluminum notebook chassis. Choosing to use molded fiberglass should definitely prove cheaper, but I'm unsure it would provide the same level of strength.

If only carbon-fiber were cheaper...

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
I don't know what the big deal is about durability.

Because even aluminum chassis Ultrabooks will bend and break if you sit on them- once the frame's bent the Macbook Air (or any other notebook) is toast.

You don't buy an Ultrabook if you want durability. If you want a thin-and-light durable, you get a ThinkPad X301 or a business-class thin-and-light. They're not as thin, but you can throw it around and stand on it without too many problems.

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
AMD is too fat

And yet Brazos APUs (E-350/E450) still appear in tablets.

And almost all the mobile APUs (not the MX parts) are 35W parts, just like the standard power Sandy Bridge processors are. Except that they're actually competent in processor graphics whereas Quick Sync is a one-trick pony (not to discount its usefulness yet, however).

halcyon

Splendid
I think I'd be willing to pay $20-$50 more for an aluminum chassis than a fiberglass chassis.

Salesman:
"Hey, these two computers are identical but this one cost $40 more because the chassis is aluminum. Of course if you get the less expensive one you can buy a nice wireless mouse too for the same total money or just save it."

Customer:
"Wow, that's a doozy, umm.......ummm..."

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Seems like they will have some serious problems with heat since aluminum helps conduct the heat away, whereas fiberglass is an excellent insulator. The components are going to fry.

mianmian

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]LuckyDucky7[/nom]And yet Brazos APUs (E-350/E450) still appear in tablets.And almost all the mobile APUs (not the MX parts) are 35W parts, just like the standard power Sandy Bridge processors are. Except that they're actually competent in processor graphics whereas Quick Sync is a one-trick pony (not to discount its usefulness yet, however).[/citation]
Intel ultrabook platform need 17W CPU. Mobile Liano is 35W which is too hot. Brazos APU has lower TDP but it is aiming cheap/low-performance market. It won't sell if using expensive ultrabook cases.

steelbox

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
[citation][nom]RazberyBandit[/nom]I can't imagine just how much machining actually goes into an aluminum notebook chassis. Choosing to use molded fiberglass should definitely prove cheaper, but I'm unsure it would provide the same level of strength.If only carbon-fiber were cheaper...[/citation]
None machining i think, it's all cut and bend for fast production by presses. Carbon fiber is overkill for an laptop, unless you plan to go to war with it and use it as protection.

reptileken

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
I'm concerned that if this type of fiberglass enclosure becomes very popular, this might become an issue with recyclers. Many plastics and aluminum can be recycled, But I'm not sure fiber-and-resin-based materials could be. I think it's high time we start being more serious about the importance of making electronics so that most all of the materials can be recycled. The toxic dumps in India, China, and elsewhere is atrocious, and the whole idea of completely throwing away electronics is ridiculous. For instance, I just had a MFC printer go bad because the print head went south. A new print head cost $50. The printer itself probably was barely worth that, if I sold it today in working condition. But I couldn't stand the idea of just dumping/recycling a perfectly fine large unit, just because a small part went bad. So I bought the new part and the unit now works fine. But if I had just dumped it or recycled it, who knows if it would have just ended up in some dump in India. Or even a local landfill. Companies and consumers need to start thinking of ways to lengthen the life of products and truly recycle them where possible. Throw away products like cell phones and laptops are bad. There is no easy way to lengthen the useful life of the product because most of the hardware cannot be upgraded.

G

i have no idea why folks think fiberglass has durability issues, if were talking about hand laid hobbyist grade fiberglass matts maybe, but technology has comes leaps and bound from there, fiberglass, if fabricated right with the correct stabilizer and UV protection can be a high grade material

@steelbox
i highly doubt they would make a laptop chassis out of sheet metal aluminum (in the main presses are used in sheet metal fabrication) might work for an iPhone4 but not a laptop, it would be a pressure die cast aluminum chassis and no matter how good a process you got your still going have to do some machining for interface fit and holes

cost is rarely on material alone, fabrication time and tooling cost is a factor too, if we talking about 10's of 1000's of parts then fiber glass makes sense, but if we talking about 100's of 1000's of parts the the high cycle time for die cast aluminum becomes more cost effective

@burnley14
the chassis should never be designed as a heatsink, it's primary role is to absorb and dissipate stress loads, using it as a heat sink would diminish it's ability to handle stress loads

G

MianMian: Ultrabook cases are expensive because they're a useless fashion novelty. Believe it or not, using less material than a bigger case actually costs less money. The raw material cost isn't high. The manufacturing cost isn't high. It's the douche-baggery surcharge that gets you...

PS: Intel wants to overcharge OEMs, then "rebate" money back to them, and the sole purpose is to be able to control the OEMs profits, presumably in order to be able to abuse their monopoly and screw AMD.

halcyon

Splendid
Wait. If Apple is overcharging for the MacBook Air as they're so often said to be and these ultrabooks are basically just copies (they do kind of look that way)...why can't the other manufacturers just not overcharge and undercut Apple?

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]burnley14[/nom]Seems like they will have some serious problems with heat since aluminum helps conduct the heat away, whereas fiberglass is an excellent insulator. The components are going to fry.[/citation]
My "old" i7 Mac heats up like crazy and it also has a aluminum body, yet plastic pcs with the same hardware that use copper heat-sinks don't have this problem.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]My "old" i7 Mac heats up like crazy and it also has a aluminum body, yet plastic pcs with the same hardware that use copper heat-sinks don't have this problem.[/citation]

I wonder in your (iMac's?) case (pun intended) if the aluminum is helping the situation or hurting it, I'd think the aluminum might help dissipate heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.