News Acer Debuts 44-inch DQHD Nitro, 34-inch 175 Hz OLED Predator Gaming Monitors

Maybe 10 years from now we will be able to buy 27-inch $300 OLED monitors.

Well it's about economies of scale. OLED displays have been on our higher end smart phones for approaching 10 years soon (my first was the Samsung Note 5 in 2015), but only in the last several years have we had even "reasonable" priced OLED TVs, let alone PC monitors. More people are still overwhelmingly buying LED panels for cost, but the higher up in LED panel quality, specifically in HDTVs, the closer they close the gap with OLEDs. And let's not forget that LG currently is the only OLED panel maker. Samsung and AU Optronics have mentioned interest in creating OLED monitor panels but for now that's only talk.

TL/DR; You will never find a $300 OLED sub-30" desktop monitor anytime soon if not ever.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
Well it's about economies of scale. OLED displays have been on our higher end smart phones for approaching 10 years soon (my first was the Samsung Note 5 in 2015), but only in the last several years have we had even "reasonable" priced OLED TVs, let alone PC monitors. More people are still overwhelmingly buying LED panels for cost, but the higher up in LED panel quality, specifically in HDTVs, the closer they close the gap with OLEDs. And let's not forget that LG currently is the only OLED panel maker. Samsung and AU Optronics have mentioned interest in creating OLED monitor panels but for now that's only talk.

TL/DR; You will never find a $300 OLED sub-30" desktop monitor anytime soon if not ever.
You make a good point, however, IF Samsung and AU Optronics were to start creating OLED panels, it would eventually start to lower prices due to increased competition. Also, manufacturing techniques will eventually improve bringing prices down further.

anonymousdude

Distinguished

Samsung does make OLED panels in the form of their QD-OLEDs. It also has a monitor size Granted it's only in 1440p and Ultrawide. It's also not cheap. JOLED (formed from Sony and Panasonics former OLED groups) also makes OLED panels. Like LGs 32in OLED monitor from a couple of years back is a JOLED panel. LG actually came late to the monitor size OLED panels interestingly enough. The first monitors using their products only released a couple months ago.

So long as OLEDs are positioned as the premium technology, we won't be seeing cheap OLED monitors anytime soon. Personally, what I think will happen is that the cheaper/lower end monitors will just move to FALD that has less zones, while mid - high end will comprise of OLEDs and FALD with more dimming zones. I also don't foresee that changing much until microLEDs are ready for prime time.

The other problem is that OLED isn't a superior display technology in every aspect. Even if we ignore cost, OLEDs don't get as bright and you run the risk of degradation/burn.