Acer Debuts Dualboot Android/XP Netbook at $300

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmiG

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
Netbooks are starting to feel a bit old-fashioned in a world of smartphones and tablets.
Sold my 8.9" Aspire One some time ago. An Android smartphone does everything I used the netbook for, but unlike the netbook, I can carry it in my pocket. Sure, it's a drag to type more than two lines of text on it, but that's the only drawback compared to the netbook. When I know I will be needing to type, I bring my 15" laptop instead, just like I did when I had the netbook.

snakerdlk

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
@JasonAkkerman
XP is still lighter than 7 and more appropriate for a netbook.
My 1005ha with Win7 and MS Security Essentials is very slow. Ubuntu prefered :D

What version of Android is Acer running? Android-x86 ? Or their custom build ? Perhaps it could be installed on, say, a asus eeepc 100ha? ;D

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I'd like a nice $200 XP netbook with 1GB RAM and a 40GB HDD (everything else wold be on my home network). Dual boot android would be a interesting feature.
This would just be for my roommates to have simple Internet access, so my gaming rig isn't on their Facebook all day...

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]I'd like a nice $200 XP netbook with 1GB RAM and a 40GB HDD (everything else wold be on my home network). Dual boot android would be a interesting feature.This would just be for my roommates to have simple Internet access, so my gaming rig isn't on their Facebook all day...[/citation]
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]I'd like a nice $200 XP netbook with 1GB RAM and a 40GB HDD (everything else wold be on my home network). Dual boot android would be a interesting feature.This would just be for my roommates to have simple Internet access, so my gaming rig isn't on their Facebook all day...[/citation]
The cheapest one in my country is around $250. I'm still waiting for the prices to drop too

infodan

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
The Aspire one D250 has been available since 7 was released with XP/android dual boot or 7 starter/android dual boot.

fancarolina

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
[citation][nom]JasonAkkerman[/nom]XP? Really? Something wrong with 7?[/citation]

You don't want to try to run 7 on a single core CPU with only 1gb of RAM.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]snakerdlk[/nom]@JasonAkkermanXP is still lighter than 7 and more appropriate for a netbook.My 1005ha with Win7 and MS Security Essentials is very slow. Ubuntu prefered What version of Android is Acer running? Android-x86 ? Or their custom build ? Perhaps it could be installed on, say, a asus eeepc 100ha? ;D[/citation]
The netbook version of Ubuntu is pretty darn slick for what I use my netbook for.

Status
Not open for further replies.